worm casting questions

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by refermadness420, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Okay so i got myself a big bag of casting now i just wanna know the best way to use them. I know they won't burn the plants but how do you guys use yours. The guy at my hydro store gave me his tea recipe for it but i was wanting to mix it into the soil?
    What are your favorite ways to apply worm casting?

2. wet them first and thoroughly rub on hips and thighs for about 15 minutes :D

3. Can be mixed into your soil, you can top dress your plants with them & work them right in with your fingers & you can make teas and slurrys. The bottom line is that they will ensure soil microbe activity.

Or you can rib them on your hips and thighs as Genocide suggested.

J

4. [quote name='"jerry111165"']Can be mixed into your soil, you can top dress your plants with them & work them right in with your fingers & you can make teas and slurrys. The bottom line is that they will ensure soil microbe activity.

Or you can rib them on your hips and thighs as Genocide suggested.

J[/quote]

Thank you for that.:) +rep

5. rub, rub not rib em....mmmmmm ribbbbsss :D

6. If you are mixing soil and using them as your source of humus, I would use them in an amount of 25%.

If you want to introduce them to a currently planted container, then I would top dress in an amount of 1 to 2 inches and water thoroughly.

Or, as was mentioned above, a slurry made from a cup or two and watered until pourable.

Hope this helped,

Sam

7. Don't worry about burning anything with castings. They are already well broken down.

8. Thanks guys and what excatly does it do for my soil I know it makes it more fertile but how?

9. Exactly what Jerry said, I suggest reading the Soil Biology Primer in my Gardening Books FTW thread. Its a quick guide on how a living soil really works, and points out some of the key things controlled by Microorganisms.

Also this might help you out as far as increasing diversity in your soil mix, and personally I don't think Gil gets enough coverage around here haha

Beneficial Indigenous Microorganisms

Here you will find very easy DIY harvesting methods for increasing your soil diversity, and once again you'll be able to learn the effects of a diverse group of microorganisms have on plant growth and "nutrient uptake".

Peek around some of the Organic Grow Journals here in the city and you will notice castings being a topic in just about each one.

Good luck!

10. Particularly if you are building a soiless mix, it will provide microbial life.
    It will also provide humic acid, a very important component for binding nutrients and making them available.

11. RM420,

The YouTube video below will give you the low down on the many benefits of worm castings/vermicompost. Besides kelp meal, vermicompost is the other amendment I would never grow without.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGQR5ERaPQ"]Vermicompost a Living Soil Amendment - YouTube[/ame]

12. I just threw a few worms in my pots. They seem to like it. Anyone know anything about Boognish Rising? Just started with it and would be open so suggestions. Can't find an info besides genetics

13. just posting here for the post title

Questions,

i am growing in coco coir and i am looking to do a worm casting/molasses tea for veg all the way through to harvest.

1) what ratio should i use for veg?
    2) what ratio should i use for flower?
    3) is it possible to just keep adding molasses to continue the bacteria health in the tea?
    3B) at what intervals should i add molasses ?
    3C) at what intervals should i change the worm castings?​
    4)would nutrients like MEDI 1 from green planet kill the bacteria if I needed to add supplemental nutrients?

Plant: OG Kush/CBD 1:1
    Plant 2: CBD + from dinafem very nutrient light plant.

thanks for any questions answered i have tried looking and researching but never really found an answer.

14. 1+2) I would recommend you just top dress the castings instead of making tea. Same benefits, less work and room for error.
    3) no, once you achieve the desired microbial/fungal population in your tea it needs to be used up fairly quickly before the microfauna population changes.
    4) using synthetic nutrients can harm the microbial population.

:apache:

15. #15 RoGuE-NewB, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Thanks Scooby
    would you still water with trace amounts of molasses? as it seems to have trace amounts of Mg and Ca which growing in coir i read lacks and tho whole feeding the microbial/fungal population would be on the up and up.

what amount would you consider a sufficient top dress be 1/2", 1" or what?

thanks again for any answers and comments

• Like Like x 1
  16. To be honest I really wouldn’t know as i never grew with coir (well actually i did but i was using bottled nutes so it doesn’t really count) but I suppose a very small amount (teaspoon per gallon?) wont hurt. As with anything siding with caution paired with trail and error is the best teacher.

Top dressing castings: IME a light dusting followed by water with some aloe works best. using too much can cause it to cake up and become a solid crust on top of the soil.

HTH

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, MY opinion, man.