World's first genetically modified humans born...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tripace, Jan 8, 2013.

1. That's what I'm thinking this is an amazing breakthrough.

2. brave new world anybody?

3. #23 xpixiex, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    Why?

I think this research should be contained or controlled and not just dealt with carelessly. Like creating them then setting them free with no check ups. Just letting them loose seems potentially reckless to me.

Why shame?

EDIT:
    Wait, what the hell are you trying to say? What's a genetist?

4. I think its fine if they can perfect it and create super humans that's great however they need to watch where the ejaculate. If they are just carelessly creating kids it could be bad.

5. That's awesome. Skrew the haters.

<3 science

6. I think he was just joking

but really, altering the genome doesn't do anything drastic. They aren't going to become big scary mutants. We know tons upon tons of information about DNA already, and even then we can only account for about 2% of what makes up a strand.

I do not see what the big deal is, it's completely safe, it just has the potential to be misused.

7. #28 FALSE, Jan 8, 2013
    Not impressed. What's the point? Science can be useful or destructive. Clinging to illusions about its grandeur is equally as deluding as religion. Every scientific breakthrough does not come to good.
    For example:
    Nuclear Weapons are so awesome. <3 science.

Edit: I spose they could be used for organ donors or experimentation, but that still seems fucked up. I'm guessing they are still conscious and aware beings. Goddamn there are so many other things that we need to figure out.

8. It could go to the other hand where these "super humans" are engineered to be complaint sheep.

9. [quote name='Wind Man Jones'] Clinging to illusions about its grandeur is equally as deluding as religion. Every scientific breakthrough does not come to good.
    /QUOTE]

That one of the biggest loads of shit I've ever read.

10. Lol ok. No argument at all just a radical statement? That's nice.

11. It ain't natural. That's the only part i see that could potentially cuz problems in the future. Everything in nature follows a process, and we are kinda fucking with it. Or are we just evolving? Either way, this news is just shocking right now.

12. It will be interesting to see if these humans pass on extra genes or a normal gene pattern

13. this.

14. Science is neither good nor evil. It is what it is.

Nuclear weapons vs. harnessing nuclear power to give billions of people clean energy.

15. The good of science should be obvious, computers, tv, medical science among other things. That view of science seems skewed/

16. i can see it being a tool for the elite to genetically separate themselves from from the lower/middle class.

"Oh you want a super strong baby? That'll be $100,000. What about super smart? That's 150,000."

Pfffft, only the poor people have normal genes

17. Its going to be like that movie Gattaca. Only the superior race will be able to go to space!

18. #39 FALSE, Jan 8, 2013
    Yeah that's what i'm saying. There's nothing wrong with science, or attempting to view the world scientifically ("try" because it is a process), but it is nothing to put on a pedestal either. Meddling just for the sake of meddling doesn't impress me, is all i'm saying. It is what it is, like you said. Some people pursue scientific enterprises with religious fervor. This is more what i am criticizing rather than the school of thought itself.

All that you've listed has brought into the world good things and bad. To my mind at least. Morality is subjective, obviously.

19. I was half-joking. I just wanted you to keep in mind that you are talking about human beings.

I made up the word "genetist"...it means 'genetic bigotry'. From reading other posts on this thread I wouldn't be surprised if it gets in the dictionary in a few years.