World overpopulation: How soon?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Pizzaroll, Aug 1, 2012.

1. How many people is too many for earth? At our current rate our population is doubling roughly every 50 years. It's estimated that by 2054 our population will reach 12 billion.

Since the dawn of agriculture (8000 ad) our population has increased rapidly.

From 8000 ad to 1 ad the population changed from 5 million to 200 million.

The industrial revolution helped us reach our first billion in 1804.

The second billion was reached in only 130 years (1927).

The third billion only took 33 years(1960).

The 4th billion only took 15 years(1975).

The 5th billion only took 12 years(1987).

The 6th billion only took 12 years(1999).

The 7th billion only took 12 years(2011).

Not only does an increase in population require more housing but it also requires more room for creating food, more room for landfills, more stores, more everything.

How many people can our world realistically support and for how long before we run out of resources? Will the space program ever be opened back up to look for other planets for resources or to live?

Btw got most of the info off world population clock. Also the Daniel Quinn has some good books that bring up some really good points on this subject.

2. kinda crazy if you think about it SOMETHING has to be done, upon agreement or force by the human race.

3. Never, if the government ends up accually pulling a genocide like all the stories*tinfoil hat*

4. The problem is we always try growing more food to feed the starving but the food just ups the population.

It's simple.

More food=more people

Less food=less people

Same food=population will stay level

There have been studies with mice that prove this as well. If you have enough food for 100 mice the population will stay at roughly 100.

5. Would help if murder was declared legal

6. #6 Turin, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    I don't see how this works, unless you let the starving people die out. Plus how dose food production up population? Why would we even have starving people if this was true? Wouldn't the levels always be balanced because of "same" food production? How would you even reach a stable level when producing more food would just increase the population?

7. I think that's the point. Humanity is going to have to pay the consequences for overpopulation eventually. :confused_2:

8. What happens when too many deer live in a Forrest? Things come to lower the population. (Predators,disease,lack of food,ect) So what will happen when too many humans are on the earth? My guess is that we will either kill a large amount of humans with nuclear war, A virus or some disease will get us. If we don't fix global warming that will get us if we have 12 billion people. There is really no way we can keep people from having children, at least on a global level. One day something will happen possibly even in our lifetime. The only thing we can do is prepare.

9. What makes you think this isn't happening every single day?

Cause and Effect my friend.

You could start with something as simple as the legalization of alcohol (which culls the population in many, many ways), all the way to the brim of your tinfoil hat with stories of carcinogins found in water supplies in over 30 major cities.

Tobacco kills half a million people every year. It's one of the largest killers ever known to man, and yet it remains perfectly legal. Cause and Effect have a double whammy of benefit there because you not only get to cull the population down every year by a considerable number, but you also get the massive benefit of tax and medical revenue. Is it really any surprise that the recipes for cigarettes are more addicting than ever? Tobacco is one hell of an effective tool.

There are a lot of decisions made by governments today that have more of an effect on population growth than the general populous wants to believe or accept. It's a shitty job, but someone has to do it. Not so sure we would be flourishing quite as well as we are today had it not been for certain people coming to the realization that this shitty job is a necessary one.

10. WERE ALL GOING TO DIE AHHHHHHH:smoke:

11. fool you really just took time to write all that common knowledge lol

12. have any of you read 'limits to growth'? It was commissioned by the UN in the 70s and predicts a massive worldwide economic crash by 2030 at which point a combination of factors (probably including a UN depopulation initiative) will lead to a relatively large reduction in the world population. With regards to the food situation, we are currently bolstering our natural yield potential with artificial fertilisers worldwide - simple fact of the matter is that arable land is in very short supply and we wouldnt have enough land to feed the CURRENT population without such fertilisers. A major component of fertilisers (1of3 ingredients), phosphorus is being mined at an unsustainable level and has been for some time, in fact we are due to have depleted the worlds supply in around 14-20 years (evidence) so to a very real extent we have already surpassed a sustainable population level for this planet and within our lifetimes there will be major food shortages (there will even be minor ones this year - youll see the price of certain grains skyrocket after autumn) eventually leading to mass starvation (in africa/india i woudl have thought... the powers to be wouldnt watch prosperous nations face starvation). Its a very touchy subject within economics - no policy can be implimented to reduce demand for food short of depopulation (which no one is allowed to talk about obvs).

13. We'll be overpopulated when the Earth sinks.

14. The idea we will ever become overpopulated is silly and stupid. There are HUNDRESDS of THOUSANDS of square miles of unoccupied land all over the earth. Granted, they're places like the desert and just remote nothingness, but before we try and figure out how to control the population, maybe we should first attempt to make places like the desert habitable.

15. This. Any of you all even been in an airplane? LOL

Not to mention population control/overpopulation has been discussed for hundreds of years.

Nothing special about the 2000's, as much as everyone wants to feel like we're 'special'.

16. Even if there is tons of room at our current growth rate things filling in quickly. In 10,000 years we have gone from 2 million people to 7 billion and we are still growing insanely fast with no signs of slowing down.

I know people starving is a sad and touchy subject but literally every year we try to fight starvation by growing more food and guess what happens? Our population grows and people continue to starve. If we kept our food production the same eventually we would start leveling ourselves out.

It's true when people say you are what you eat. If you don't eat then you can't grow and live and maintain. If we kept food the same it would eventually level out to where a certain number would be able to maintain life.

17. [quote name='"Weasel King"']The idea we will ever become overpopulated is silly and stupid. There are HUNDRESDS of THOUSANDS of square miles of unoccupied land all over the earth. Granted, they're places like the desert and just remote nothingness, but before we try and figure out how to control the population, maybe we should first attempt to make places like the desert habitable.[/quote]

My god I didn't think anyone out there besides me believes this...the whole over POP. Shit is ridiculous rather than adapt as we are supposed to being the top notch of earth life we'd rather take a short cut and kill millions of useful people who can be put to work on building new habitats.

This whole thing stems from food control..the big wigs fuck up everything and then blame society..they put connotations about supply shortages and what not to control a market. Retards see this and believe that *INSPITE OF THE FACT THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF MILES OF FREE OPEN TREE LESS FLAT PLAINS GROWING NOTHING BUT GRUEL CORN FOR FEEDLOTS FOR ANIMALS THAT ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EATING CORN IN THE FIRST PLACE, LAND THAT CAN BE USED TO HOUSE PEOPLE OR GROW USEFUL CROPS* some how. Earth is over populated...

Japan is over populated and guess what they are surviving. And its a fucking sliver of an island. I wish people would stop buying into this thought.

18. It's already over populated. I often wonder if we were really never meant to have such adblvanced medicine and healthcare.

I think like this a lot, what if we were never meant to have computers or Internet or anything but we overstepped our boundaries and that's why we're crumbling as a whole

19. [quote name='"DrazyHaze"']It's already over populated. I often wonder if we were really never meant to have such adblvanced medicine and healthcare.

I think like this a lot, what if we were never meant to have computers or Internet or anything but we overstepped our boundaries and that's why we're crumbling as a whole[/quote]

We are crumbling because too many people are fucking stupid..and want freebies. Shit every body wants to either be some kind of star or an entraperuer(sp)..this and the music is making us dumber everyday kats buy cars, clothes and hoes, but no food, rent, or important shit...

20. [quote name='"Pizzaroll"']Even if there is tons of room at our current growth rate things filling in quickly. In 10,000 years we have gone from 2 million people to 7 billion and we are still growing insanely fast with no signs of slowing down.

I know people starving is a sad and touchy subject but literally every year we try to fight starvation by growing more food and guess what happens? Our population grows and people continue to starve. If we kept our food production the same eventually we would start leveling ourselves out.

It's true when people say you are what you eat. If you don't eat then you can't grow and live and maintain. If we kept food the same it would eventually level out to where a certain number would be able to maintain life.[/quote]

the problem with this is it wouldn't be a even leveling out. it would be America, eastern europe and such all living normally while millions died in 3rd world countries until a revolt and a war began.