Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

works as a muscle relaxant

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by jimaug87, Dec 15, 2008.

1. The day before thanksgiving I broke my back. I fractured 4 vertebrae and shattered 1. I had emergency surgery to bolt my back together again and I only lost a little sensation right above my butt. I'm lucky.

After the surgery my back has been sore (duh) and I'd been getting painful spasms which have since stopped. On several occasions I have smoked and not taken my oxycodone, as an experiment, and it relaxed my back. The oxycodone is just for pain, and it didn't do anything to prevent the spasms. After smoking I can feel my back relax, and even relax into my pillows even more.

I did a lot of walking today and walking up the stairs to my room kicked off a spasm. I just blazed a bowl and feel better. I'm about to suppliment that with 10mg of comfort before I try to fall asleep.

just wanted to share my first honest use of mj for medicinal reasons. It helps.

2. just be careful because you can still injure yourself because you might not be able to feel anything...just take it easy, blaze a bowl or two and sit back and relax and you should be fine....

3. Oh man, you must be in a world of hurting. Yeah, MMJ does a great deal for back spasms, that's what I have my recommendation for, among other things, but that's the key component.

If you're having spasms though, I'm surprised that your Dr. didn't prescribe a muscle relaxer. I've been taking Robaxin for years now, and it does the trick when it needs to. Though a nice bowl or vapor bag does as well.

4. They gave me a relaxer, which worked, in the hospital. The sspasms eemed to have stopped so I didn't get a script when I left. I would need to drive back into Boston to get a script for the relaxers. I know it's gay, but I already sent my stepdad in for a refill on pain meds.

I don't walk around at all when I'm impaired. tripping over something wouldn't be a big deal before, but tripping now could send me back to the ER. I just stay in bed until I can be 100% aware of what's in front of me.

5. Thats awesome. IMO if you'd rather take MJ then Oxy it must seriously help.

6. Well, I can tell you from vast experience that pain killers won't really solve the spasm problems unfortunately, but the muscles relaxers do. You may want to look into getting a prescription, which in your situation shouldn't be an issue for your doctor. Have you tried calling him on the phone and maybe using a prescription delivery service?

I totally understand about not moving - when my back spasms first hit me in 1995 I was flat on my back for a month. Even when I felt good and would sit up and walk around, they would hit even harder.

Good luck.