Workout Routine Help

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Blazed4dayz, Apr 7, 2011.

1. #1 Blazed4dayz, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    I've been working out since grade 9, I'm currently in grade 12 (yes, 18).
    However, I was inexperienced back then, didn't know a lot so I listened to a lot of people's advice, even though I'm a stubborn fuck lol.

I didn't workout throughout all of grade 11, I didn't have motivation.
    Then I heard about how people were talking shit about me behind my back, saying things like "yeah hes chubby" or "that dude is fuckin weak"..which of course got to me and pissed me off.

So, this whole grade 12 year, I've been hitting the gym since probably october. I haven't once worked out my legs, just arms, chest and abs. (I take creatine, so an intense workout will be nice)

I do 3-4 sets of every workout. I guess what I'm trying to get to, is I'm going to the gym again tomorrow to workout my abs and chest, since I did arms today.

Are there any key workouts that will help A LOT more then the regular (bench press, butterflies, crunches, sit ups, etc)?

Also, I am pretty fit (I can see the abs layout, and partially the packs (like 4).
    BUT, I got the rolls around my stomach, meaning whenever I sit down (cross legged, or just standard), and lean forward, I get like 4 rolls in my stomach.

Even when I just lean over and bend to get something, the rolls appear. What to do to get rid of them? I've had them forever. :*(

I'd like to know. Thanks. :p

EDIT: I curl 30's for training weight. Max is 35.
    I bench about 135 which is pretty much my weight. I weigh 137. My height is 5'10.

2. Google the following things:
    Starting strength
    Squat form mark rippetoe
    Deadlift form mark rippetoe
    Bench press form elitefts
    GOMAD stronglifts
    Nutrition | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Eating for Muscle Gain | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    tabata sprint intervals

read/watch thoroughly. consult with buddies that know what they are doing (i.e have results, don't do steroids, haven't been hurt), use some of your own discretion (if it doesn't make sense, don't do it)
    then go work hard for a few months. come back a beast

3. could be that your BF isn't low enough, but its more likely that your muscle isn't built up enough in the right areas, especially since you've never worked out your legs.

Although i see you have 4 years of experience, I'm sorry to tell you that you are indeed a beginner to weight training in terms of the bodybuilding community. However, this is also lucky for you, because you've never done starting strength. which means you have room for a huge amount of progress in a very small period of time

Before you will make any real solid progress, you need to get the basics down:
    Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Bodybuilding.com Forums

if you read through that entire thread, you will learn a huge amount about weightlifting, and will begin on a road to the FASTEST progress you will ever make in your life. it's a linear program so you literally progress weight every time you lift (assuming you don't fail the workout before).

by putting work in to your legs and core you will see a huge mass increase. you'll notice the biggest difference in your traps, abs, and arms.

good luck

4. 1. Sit ups alone will not get you nicely defined abs. Cardio is the key to seeing your abs, sit ups will help them pop out a little more.

2. Stop the upper body only mentality. Your legs are your foundation and your biggest muscles in your body. Strong legs will in turn allow you to be able to lift more all the way around.

3. Make every rep count. Fewer quality sets are better than more erratic sets. Slow and in control is so important.

4. Don't rely on creatine so much. Protein shakes, multivitamins and eating healthy is so much more beneficial. Eating a piece of fruit after a workout is amazing for you. Try to incorporate a big salad once a day.

5. Are you stretching and warming up before lifting? If you don't stretch, it is only a matter of time before you tear something. Dynamic stretching prior to working out and static stretching after. Get a jump rope or do some type of cardio to get your blood pumping before you lift.

6. Don't underestimate REST!!! Be absolutely sure your muscles have recovered before working them out again. This is one of the best way to seriously injure yourself. What I find helpful is flexing the muscle you are planning to workout, if it feels even a little sore, don't work it out.

5. #5 philevans1992, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    1.) cardio is not the key to abs. Nutrition is key. Cardio is a tool that can be used if one is havin trouble meeting a calorie deficit. However, aerobic cardio causes the body to release cortisol, which stunts muscle growth. So, if you can manage your diet well it is better to do so without cardio. All of the relevant positive effects of cardio can be done through lifting.

2.) agreed

3.) slow and controlled exercise leads to slow and controlled movements. For powerlifting you should be as explosive as possible on the eccentric portion of the lift.

4.) creatine is fine to take, its the only supplement with scientific proof for its effects. And theres nothing wrong with eating fruit or salad, but meal timing is irrelavent, dont listen to anecdotal evidence.

5.) agreed, nothing wrong with stretching although there are many people who dont.

6.) you have to work out when you are sore, or your body wont adapt to it, and you will never get anything done. Do a full body workout on non-consecutive days, and u will be very sore at first, but after a couple weeks you will be able to handle
    It no problem