Working Remotely

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by hibodharma, Feb 2, 2017.

1. I travel a lot and live in other countries for months at a time, and was wondering about finding work online- also the ability to work from anywhere with a laptop and wifi signal. There are tons of options like creating content, vlogs, freelance writing but it looks as if everyone is doing the same thing, with the most popular (ex. casey neistat) being copied by tons of wanna-be's.

One hurdle is that even if you have great writing and skills, it is hard to get your foot in the door anywhere or even be looked at. The internet is all about access to information, so people write and sell e-books, but I want to do something new and not follow the herd.

Let's brainstorm here about ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  2. That's just how the internet works. I used to do work as a freelance web/software developer, I had to take some time out and now I don't do it anymore because of how hard it is to dip your fingers in and out of this specific line of work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. i wouldn't say that everyone is doing the same thing. similar yes, but not the same.
    do you have topics that you can write about that people would be interested in?.. maybe you have a style that would appeal to a niche or even wide audience.
    can you develop a cool app?
    hook something up to an api and charge $5/month for the service? (see how it grows)
    contribute to open source?

lots of ideas out there, but i think it's also very important to build a personal brand in some way. so that people want to come to you for your specific skillet, rather than the other way around.

4. Start up a grow forum..

5. Yeah know what you mean, it takes forever to get a foot in the door and you spend so much time trying to find someone who's interested. Anyways thanks for your replies guys

6. www.upwork.com Figure out something you're good at and which someone will pay for. Browse other contractors for which skills they sell. Even managing a company's twitter account or FB account is a 'job' now.

7. I work remotely, there are plenty of sites that post job listings for remote work. I don't know the names offhand but if you google jobs for digital nomads you should get the most popular results. Heads-up though most of them do require a lot of qualifications.

8. I work remotely as well. I work with a finance brokerage Agency and it didn't require so much to get a job. I mostly still have the chance to do whatever I wanna do, and when my service is needed, I get an email hours or a day before. I do my job, I get paid and wait on the next email. The only thing is you gotta be in the US or Canada.

Sent from my TECNO KC8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. If you don't mind me sharing more information, you can send me a message in my inbox. I'll be glad to help.

Sent from my TECNO KC8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app