Working out when you're sick...

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Royksopp, Nov 30, 2010.

1. I have a cold and can't decide if I should go to the gym today or what. I've heard in the past that you shouldn't work out when sick and that you should give your body rest until it passes. Someone confirm/deny this?? Thanks :)

2. i love working out sick as it feels like youve done twice the workout,

you'll probably puke if you work to hard.

but just remember to keep your core temp down when you leave.

dont want any hypothermia lol

3. There's a big difference between having a cold and being sick...

That being said, working out for a little while when you have a cold clears up the sinuses (for me anyway)

4. Cold isn't too bad, if you had the flu or something I would avoid it. Keep it light today, get the blood flowing and eat some good food.

5. Ya I think I'm just going to do some cardio today, no weights and stuff. Gonna continue drinking soup and meds. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow because tomorrow I have to meet up with my trainer @ 10am.

6. avoid anything that gets ur heart pumping. stick with light strength training or yoga to keep your joints and muscles moving.

7. I've been going everyday and actually feel better lol but this is cuz it's not that bad of a cold. If it were worse I wouldn't.

8. Personally, i would wait to work out until I recovered fromthe particular sickness. You could make yourself feel worse

9. Unless I'm vomiting, I'm sticking to my life cycle.

I'm also an idiot, take it for what it's worth... :hello:

10. If you want to lose weight you better stop eating those fiesta potatoes :devious:.

11. I workout when I'm sick, but I take it easy and don't even attempt to push myself.

I guess it depends on how you feel, there have been times where my head feels like it's filled with cotton wool and I wouldn't even think of going to gym, but if it's something small I'll go

12. I just have to laugh at the fact that I'm sick again :laughing:

Wtf? I lose weight and inches and my body goes into "let's start getting sick more often than before" mode? :confused:

13. I'd rest if I were you. Vitamin C and rest. :)

14. I should have taken this advice yesterday.

I went but didn't "go hard" like I have been doing. Today I woke up feeling worse. No gym for me. Ugggggghhhhhh.

15. If its just a cold, I like to do light cardio that day and usually I feel somewhat better after, or atleast that feeling of accomplishment even while sick lol..If your sick sick then just get some rest...Those who exercise pretty consistantly don't like to miss days which I can understand but It is still better to let the body rest..Me personaly I like lots of orange juice I find that helps me to get over some things a little quicker..

lol I'm actually sitting here in a gym right now at work lol..I have worked in a gym now for about four and a half years..Trust me no point in going when you don't feel very well..Its hard to get motivated at times, almost always feel weaker, and ya don't wanna get anyone else sick..

Hope ya get better:rolleyes: Soup, Rest, Nugs

16. #16 Russia, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
    Working out while sick is actually one of the best things you can do- provided you don't have a bacterial infection. By raising your body temperature you can help fight a viral infection like the common cold. It feels like shit while you do it, but you feel much better after. Also, take as much vitamin C and zinc as you can (don't go overboard on the zinc though). Although there isn't much experimental evidence in favor of vitamin C for sickness, it always seems to work for me. Again, that is purely anecdotal.

Like I said though, avoid working out if you have any kind of bacterial infection as raising your body temperature will make things worse.

17. Mmmmmm drinking some soup, drinking some vitamin C and a few more hours of sleep, I feel better. We'll see how I wake up feeling tomorrow.