Working man..

Discussion in 'General' started by Unearth, Feb 28, 2008.

1. I've never thought about it this way, I'm an excellent student but I hate school and I hate doing work that I have no interest in that requires me to use my head.

Would it be all that bad to keep my intelligence to myself and not go to school, and just find a job that doesn't require a college education?

I mean, I won't get paid as much, but it seems like I'd live happier.

I don't know, maybe I'm just lazy and I don't want to go to class.:smoking:

2. congratulations, you're like 95% of the population :p

3. no way dude, thats a terrible idea. Most jobs that dont require a college education you cant live on the income from. Just keep on pushin' get your college done, youll be happy you did.

4. I think about that all the time. My ideal place to live is up in Central Maine. It's beautiful, rural, weed is decriminalized, housing is cheap...the only thing is that there are like no jobs suitable for a college grad...I mean, I'm sure there are but they're nowhere near as abundant as they are around here on the periphery of Boston. I don't know, man. You should go to college, and whatever you choose to do after that you'll have a diploma to fall back on.

5. 95% aren't excellent students..don't know where you pulled that from.

6. How is Boston by the way? I'm looking for a place to move, and I'm between like Frisco, Seattle, Miami, Boston, and Jersey (not the city). Warm all the time is cool, but I like the four seasons. I've heard the east coast is beautiful.

7. dont do it. im a smart guy, but i fucked around in school to much and now i have to take a break. im regretting it every second. i have an associates degree and its still fucking hard to find a decent job. making like 25k a year. i couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to get a decent job without any education. unless you have a family biz or like a best friend that has a hookup i wouldn't fuck around with that. just get a 4 year degree in something.

8. Yeah, I mean I can do it, just the next three to five years of my life are going to be consumed by it.

9. He's saying that most people could be, but they give up because they're lazy

10. Well, we got probably about four inches of snow last night and it's fucking freezing today. We're also expecting more snow for this weekend. But I love living in New England. Boston is a huge sports town, you're close to beaches (but all the places you listed pretty much are too). The MBTA subways and railroads are decent. It's just cool to get all the seasons...the hottest of the hot in August and then the coldest of the cold in January...the leaves changing........:smoke:.....I should work for the tourist bureau

11. yes but instead of the rest of your life being consumed by debt and shitty work. why not dedicate the next 4 years of your life to getting an education so you can live a happy life after college.

12. Just tough it out and get to class. Once you graduate it will all be worth it, but until then it's going to suck. But if you don't then 10 years from now you'll be regretting that and wondering what if, where as right now your going to have to suffer a couple years but once it's done it's done.

13. I'm from Northern Illinois, not much of a change I guess :p

I just need to get the fuck away from here.

14. do whatever makes you happy, because it wont make a damn bit of difference when you are dead.

15. Very well put.

16. yes it would be a bad decision because you won't be happy and you'll curse the decision for the rest of your life.

Spending all your wages on rent and food every month and having nothing left to take your gf or family on a holiday or to buy the car you need or even to buy your wife and kids a home, will depress the hell outta you.

I drove a truck for years coz I didn't know what I wanted to do at college, I finally decided to study business so I went there as an older student (which sucked) and got my business degree, I got almost all A's and could've easily done my masters except I'd left going to college too late and I really had to start working. My degree still opened doors for me though that had been totally closed before, and I lead a totally different life now. So I've done what you're suggesting and I know first-hand it's a mistake.

Also, if you don't go to college you won't really fit in with the people you'll have to work with. They're there coz they don't have the choice you have. Let's be blunt, they don't have your iq. The way you look at things will be different and the way you think about things will be different. You won't really fit in and you'll be bored.

Do yourself a favor man and get your degree.