Word Of Advice

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by new_age_hippy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Today marks the 6 month anniversary of my friend's suicide that I considered a brother to me. We knew each other since the age of 2, so we grew up together, and 6 months ago I got the call he took his life. This is very personal to me so I won't go into detail, but no matter what you believe, what you think you know, whatever, don't take it for granted.

You know never know you how much time you have with a person. I learned that the day I got on my phone and learned that my friend was gone. I didn't see it coming at all. I was in total shock. Over the past few months I have learned an important lesson first hand, don't take days for granted. Show the ones you love love, for you never know when their time will come, or yours for that matter, whether it's self inflicted or not. Life is precious and when that cycle is disturbed it's a major thing to deal with, especially with self inflicted things.

So all I can say if you are Christian, Catholic, Atheist, blue black or purple, never take a day for granted. You think you have so much time, but you really don't. You could die at any moment, or someone you care about more than yourself could die right now, and believe me, you do not want to get that call.

So live your life like it's your last, and love others like it's their last, for you never know when it shall happen. It's the truth. People hear "don't take things for granted" all the time, but I know first hand what it feels like to do so, and I can tell you it isn't worth it. Whether you or your loved one lives for another 100 years, show all the appreciation and love like it was their/your last day.

I may sound cheesy but it's the truth. In the greatest amount of pain is the greatest amount of insight, and I'm giving you my insight.

Live like you were dying, never regret anything, and stay true to yourself and those you love.

2. Couldn't be put any better.

And nobody's really gone unless they're forgotten, so you're doing a good job of keeping him with you.

-Jon

3. I hope your lesson helps others because it is one that most only learn first hand.:(
    i dont agree with the live everyday like its your last though, i would be broke in jail or dead if that hapened but i understand what you mean and i hope people arnt as literal as me and get the message.:D :wave: :smoking:

4. Well my last day would be spent being around those I love and doing the things I enjoy most, but yeah I guess some people could be bad if it was their last day. Shame on them!:p

5. I had a friend I grew up with a few years ago take his own life as well. I know what you are saying, and I agree. peace

6. A close childhood friend of mine committed suicide our senior year of high school. I played football with him and he was the star quarterback. My deepest sympathies goes out to you and the family.

If you want to read about my friend here is a link to the story:
    http://www.suicide.org/memorials/corey-bischof.html

7. Thank you for sharing such a close story. I can be thankfull atleast that my friend was found right away, seconds after his death, so we didn't have to go through worry for days like you had to wondering where he was.

8. "Upon retiring, sleep as if you had entered your last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes."

I am still trying to live that advice. I hope that I don't have to go through a hardship to actually learn it. For real though, it's cool that you moved on and learned a lot from it, so word up to you.

9. I find this statement hard to swallow. When a person dies what they are is gone - all thats left is the memories and how they influence you - a far cry from a fully functioning conscious human.

The fact that they are gone is what makes the memories and influences that much more important.

10. sorry for your loss new_age_hippy. i really liked what you said and i think it has a lot of truth to it.

11. I read these words and sat back in my chair and thought for a minute...

These words remind me a lot of the Buddhist inisight on Impermanence and Mindfulness. Basically Buddhism teaches that everything on Earth will eventually cease to be, or in other words, "suffering." In order to achieve happiness we must first achieve mindfulness. It goes deeper to the levels of awareness and ways to enjoy every moment in life.

Haha, didn't mean to get all preachy, but if you're interested in this stuff pick up Thich Nhat Hanh. I started writing this post but then I wanted to find a quote to put up here so I picked up his book "The Heart of Buddha's Teaching" and just started reading through it for like 30 minutes and packing another bowl... I love this stuff

Anyways, I hope that you heal from this awful event new age hippy. "Through suffering we reach enlightenment" ... You have certainly have had an enlightening experience.

12. I CARRY ALOT OF BROTHAS WITH ME EVERY DAY, never forget, never leave them behind. there with us all the way if we remember. :D

13. I'm very familiar with the Buddhist religion :)

14. enjoy what's here. every moment is just that, a moment. it will pass, just like anything else in the universe will.

just the same, we can all live better understanding that we've still enjoyed the moment even when it's no longer with us.

:)