Wood pipe making questions

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Endziel, May 14, 2012.

1. I would like to start carving some wood pipes for fun in my down time.

I need to know what are some good safe woods and what finishes would also be safe.

Thanks

2. he ones I've made have clogged easily but if yo just use like a big enough bit when you make the holes it should be okay. The only one I pretty much liked was one made with bamboo I just miss my glass... got stolen :(

3. If it's pressurized and you smoke it, you'll die.
    When I was younger I'd made a pipe from a cut up 2x4 with a drill, pretty easy.

4. Yea any wood thats treated.

Like water treated or pressure treated.

Seriously smoke out of something like that and you can easily die or fuck up your lungs and brain.

I wouldn't even make homemade pieces at all.

I mean why risk anything when you can buy a cheap glass peace for like 10 dollars.

Or buy a really nice ass bong for 100$...

This is the reason I don't get why people just don't buy pieces they are so cheap or so expensive you have all the options in the world.

And the whole you got it stolen or lost it or broke it.

I have been through countless pieces believe me your first won't be your last.

5. [quote name='"Zagubadu"']Yea any wood thats treated.

Like water treated or pressure treated.

Seriously smoke out of something like that and you can easily die or fuck up your lungs and brain.

I wouldn't even make homemade pieces at all.

I mean why risk anything when you can buy a cheap glass peace for like 10 dollars.

Or buy a really nice ass bong for 100$...

This is the reason I don't get why people just don't buy pieces they are so cheap or so expensive you have all the options in the world.

And the whole you got it stolen or lost it or broke it.

I have been through countless pieces believe me your first won't be your last.[/quote]

True, and I have pieces that I've bought. I just was wanting a new hobby to do in my downtime.

6. I know ash is a good choice.

7. Then do your research............ Look for hard woods........ Hard woods with proper treatment ( Torching the bowlhead ) are completely safe to do....

My post was a bitch inaccurate there is nothing wrong with making homemades you just have to be smart about it.

8. [quote name='"Zagubadu"']Then do your research............ Look for hard woods........ Hard woods with proper treatment ( Torching the bowlhead ) are completely safe to do....

My post was a bitch inaccurate there is nothing wrong with making homemades you just have to be smart about it.[/quote]

Well of course.

9. you should pick up a briar pipe kit they're already drilled and you can focus on the the shape, check ebay. you can use most domestic hardwoods for smoking pot, I wouldn't bother with the 2x4 you'll burn more wood than whats in the bowl.

10. learn to work with wood first, it's not too hard, and i find pipe making fun. stick to hardwood's for the bowl, the stem is easier to make with soft wood and a two pice pipe is not THAT hard to make.