Won't ever grow in a PA winter again

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by emt1581, Jan 14, 2019.

1. My electric bill over the past 2 months went from $250-ish to $550-$650. It hit me today...the space heater in my grow room has been on quite a bit due to the temp dropping outside.

Lesson leaned. I'll germinate in April and harvest in October/November.

2. been their done that ...lol

so now I grow 2x as much in summer to make up the winter loss

it don't really work either ..lol

3. Cant really do that in se KY, but my electric bill went from 200 to 310.
    So now I got a fire in the basements wood burner stove and it's won't go out till mid april

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maybe some insulation could solve your problem

5. True but it's a multi-purposed room so that's be more trouble than it's worth. Easier to just wait and do it in the warmer months. Safer to.

6. Wow that sucks bro.. mine was just $240 which was a shitload for me, I about got the shit shut off on me!! Crazy...

You should switch to Quantum Boards bro.. best lights in the WORLD (literally) and they use allot less electricity than most grow lights.

Their the most efficient lights in existence. Dead serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Unfortunately LEDs won't help with the temperature. Using them will cause the heater to run more.

8. Electric space heaters are by far the most terrible thing for heat. If it's cold, turn up your house heater. Those little guys crank over a thousand watts at times and run forever.

9. Cold is very difficult to defeat, and insulation is the most cost effective solution. Turning up the house temp will probably cost more than a space heater. Unless electricity is much much more expensive than house heating fuel. Except for the chemical energy stored in our plants, every watt used inside a tent ends up as heat, no matter what its source.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. It just comes down to space heaters being inefficient at heating more or less. A undersized space heater will run all of the time at full go without heating effectively. A whole home system should be designed to support the entire house. I don't think your grow needs to be any warmer than what's comfortable to you.

I grew up in a very cold place and one of the first years I moved out we relied on space heaters and ultimately doubled our bill one month. We stopped using them and it subsided. Insulation is by far the best idea.

11. Every space heater is 100% efficient because every watt 1 watt of electricity used ends up as 1 watt of heat.

This is the law of conservation of energy, and not an opinion.

12. Ha ha ha okay man. I'm in this weird place that I'd love to help spread knowledge but your attitude just puts a halt to it. The biggest problem is that you're not right.

The law of conservation of energy has nothing to do with efficiency of a space heater. It just states that all energy is conserved; neither lost nor created. It all doesn't turn into heat, that's absurd. There's loss in all the other wavelengths of energy; vibrations, sound, light. Then there's loss to operate the heater's internal components like a thermostat and any fans.

Saying every space heater is 100% efficient ignores all the other facets of science, physics and electrical engineering. They are not 100% efficient. I would even go as far to say as they aren't even 90% efficient.

13. 100% efficiency means that all the electricity going into a heater is converted to heat, not that the heater will do 100% of what we want it to.

The same facts apply to all the energy you use in your house. The total energy used by your house ends up as heat, except for tiny amounts that end up as chemical or sound energy.

If you don't believe me, check out
    How efficient is an electric heater?

I said this was a fact, not to be egotistical, but for emphasis, and because it is a fact.
    This is useful info for growers to know.

14. I'm already using QB288's. As mentioned, it's not the lights sucking the electricity, it's the space heater.

Like I said, live and learn. I'm close to harvesting so in for a penny in for a pound.

Thanks though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. you already know then homie ^_^. i'd caulk and insulate that room to death for next year ;) i think you could spend $150 on sealing up the room instead of paying all that extra electricity to keep them at 80F for flower lol

16. Damn, that’s nuts.

Maybe use a tent? I live in a particularly cold climate in a house with horrible drafts/insulation and I’ve never had to resort to using a space heater.

Even using LEDs I’ve had to crack a window in the room and crack open the flaps on my tents to bring temps down. I couldn’t imagine having to use a space heater

17. Sounds like having an HID laying around wouldn't hurt. Grow nice plants with less reliance on the heater