Wolverine mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MI Wolverine, Nov 16, 2011.

1. [quote name='"MI Wolverine"']

Yup, and I have a 14 incher. No, really there 7 gallon fabric pots. The grow box is only 3x3. Under that silver insulation is a small heater. I used fan leaves and stems saved from a previous grow for mulch, and any left over chunks from teas, but mostly like you see, fan leaves. I do top dress compost some too but, the first layer of leaves and the compost are pretty much all soil now.

Since I started mulching like this I see more bugs under the mulch. Tiny spiders and soil mites, and a worm or two. The mulch seems to help life in general in that zone. Plus I see more roots, or more accurately the roots use all the soil rather than skip the top inch. Win win.....MIW[/quote]

LoL....those pots just look extra huge to me for some reason...

2. what you need is magic mesh- let the fresh air in, and those annoying bugs out!

3. I see those bugs as a good thing. I'm trying to duplicate outdoors growing where there is a balance, and soil mites and spiders eat bad guys. And wood bugs and worms are my mulch shredders. No slackers here man they all have jobs around my grow....MIW

4. Wait until you get hit with Black Soldier Flies - about 50,000 grubs in a few days. Talk about consuming massive amounts of green material (Nitrogen) - completely and totally worthless as far as brown material (Carbon)

Though they can and do eat fish carcasses at a rate that would shame white sharks.

LD

5. I definetly have the same bugs under my mulch + living in my vermi topdressing. They don't bother me and the way I see it they're all part of the little ecosystem of the organic grow. If I didn't see little bugs here and there I'd be thinking that there was something wrong.

In a different thread yesterday somebody was mentioning that outdoor soil should be sterilized before bringing it indoors.

Some people just don't get it. Even the few inevitable fungus gnats that I see flying around the topdressing zone - they don't bother me. Of course I don't have an infestation that I sometimes read about, never have, but they just tell me that there's life down there.

Like I said, I think that every little bug down to the tiniest bacteria is all part of our little ecosystems. To them, there's a whole little world of life down there.

I think its wonderful.

Jerry.

6. ok im in on the lava rocks. how different are they to fish tank gravel ?

7. Have you ever seen bags of big rusty red colored rocks for landscaping? Home depot will have stacks of them. There used as colorful mulch. A bag is .5 cf and cost a couple bucks. The rocks are irregular shaped and vary from marble sized to small fist sized, and full of tiny holes. I've even seen them at gas stations in the spring, when they sell top soil in bags for spring planting. Around me the big box stores shut down their outside lawn and garden sections for winter, so they may be hard to find at this time of year, depending on where your at. But there pretty common and cheap.......MIW

8. #88 papawayne, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
    Set your girlz or buds near a window on a cloudy, overcast day (perfect light).

Disable the flash.

Always use a tripod or rest the camera on something solid.

Always use the camera timer so you can click the shutter, step back, and wait ten seconds for the exposure (no blurry images that way).

Camera settings:
    Manual
    Normal lens (Macro if you have it)
    Auto focus
    Auto white balance
    Use the lowest ISO setting (usually 100)
    Let the camera choose the F/Stop
    Exposure 0 (or you can set the camera to'Auto Bracketing' and the next 5 pics you take, the camera will set the exposure for you - from -0.7, -0.3, 0, +0.3, +0.7 which you give you 5 exposures to choose from the best of the lot.

That's about it. Way simple, and will produce pro-looking shots. I don't have any buds shots (give me another 3 months), but here is one I took, with the set up described above, of a custom cable harness I made for a water-cooled computer build, using a 20-year-old Nikon CoolPix 880.

[​IMG]

I hope you don't mind my posting this in your thread. I see a lot of people here struggling to get good shots, and Jerry's comment just triggered me to write something up.

That's an awesome grow in a 3'x3' space! Excellent work, MI!

9. So how are they coming along?
    I think the last pics I seen they were 10 days in. Halfway now?
    Updates brother, updates...LOL

BeZ...V

10. They are just over 8 weeks in. I'd like to take them to ten weeks. I know the Jack Herer probably needs it. The others are starting to look beat up, like old hags, lol. I had to tie back some stems that were only 6 inches from my light. The leafs were drying, and i had light bleaching on the tip tops. (Those white Siberians had a huge stretch). Next step would have been browning buds, so I moved them. I checked a mini bud off the WS, it had all milky trics, the buzz was narcotic, probably a sleepy time thing. I'll try and get a pic just before my lights come on, when the light's on the pics suck.
    MIW

11. Hell yeah bro. Sounds like a typical grow lol, full of ups and downs.
    It wouldn't be any fun if we just turned the light on and let them go now would it.
    I never had the ws but I love me some jack herrer. I just grew a black jack, its jack times black domino, and it turned out real nice.

I feel ya about the pics at lights on, magnetic ballast suck for taking pics under the light. That's my problem anyway.

Thanks for the update bro.

BeZ...V

12. Here's a couple of pics, sorry about the light.....

Attached Files:

13. [quote name='"MI Wolverine"']Here's a couple of pics, sorry about the light.....[/quote]

That is a beautiful thing. Nice work MIW!

14. Very nice canopy. Keep it up MI.

15. MIW the seasoned veteran.

I wouldn't expect anything less.

Jerry.

16. Mighty fine Wolverine, mighty fine!

17. Daaaaammm, Wolverine!!! That's what I would call a very successful grow.

vlcsnap-345156-1-1.jpg

Thank you, It gives me something to strive for.

BeZ...V

18. Very nice dude, thanks for sharing. :)

19. Funny, I still think of myself as a gorilla grower. Still learning this legal stuff, and indoor growing. I guess if you can grow in sand, indoors is easy. I think my gorilla days are done though, the risk to reward thing is not in my favor.....best to retire undefeated, lol...fingers crossed......MiW

20. #100 MI Wolverine, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    This is the end
    Beautiful friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
    Of everything that stands, the end
    No safety or surprise, the end
    I'll never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be
    So limitless and free