With earth as my canvas and bike as my brush

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by TheSuperApe, Dec 27, 2015.

1. <br abp="2258">
    -
    -<br abp="2271">
    thank you.. urban riding is very good actually the only place this bike doesn't do well in is the mud because of the tires I have on, the 29'' tires really rolls and carry's speed as well. so well that I'm am never going back to a 26' rim bike ever again. and it is relatively easy to pedal for the speed you get out of it. its basically a cross between 12 speed 700cc tire bike and a hard tail mtb hence the "splice" naming.
    -
    and I sort of wish I had gotten the fork sooner. the stock unit was a sun tour jcx 80mm spring that literally weighted a tone and the spring inside was done. the Manitou air fork came in at under half the weight of the stock unit and really livened the bike right up with its 120mm of travel and adjustable parameters. but mostly how I have it set up is 0 dampening and low preload. works good for poping the front up and absorbing stuff. but with the 0 dampening it can get a little scetch while doing a sharp turn and breaking since it likes to dive when you turning sharply.
    -
    the tires are special..... they are geax evolution II's. they came stock on the bike and i have been riding for over a year and a half of daily ( year round use) and they still have good treads with the "commuter compound" also the tread isn't all that bad. for a "street tire" they do amazingly well at everything sept mud. and in snow I've dropped the pressure down to 10psi and the tires for there 1.9" width work quite happily floating on the snow, and not even a pinch or any problem running that low a pressure with tubes. and the tires are rated as 32psi minimum.
    -
    but geax tires got bought out by vittoria tires. and thankfully they still carrying the evolutions line of tires. in 29" and 26"
    http://www.vittoria.com/tire/evolution/ oddly enough they are calling it a mixed terrain commuting tire
    [​IMG]

2. I ride a Giant brand Revel 4, I'll try to get some pics up of riding areas
    Totally jealous of OP's ride terrain

3. Haha it's not often that someone is jealous biking terrain in Florida! That trail system is in ancient dunes so there are some steep Sandy climbs and drops.

4. #24 A guy, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
    I have an Orbea road bike that's a 54 cm frame. I would imagine their mtn bike frames are also measured in cm but 17" is pretty small, possibly a women's frame. Fit really is everything on a bike so don't let your excitement talk you into buying something that's too big or small for you.

Orbea is a great company, I didn't know they made mtn bikes. I bought my 4 yr old Orbea road bike for $400 which was cheap enough that the bike shop thought maybe I bought a stolen bike (didn't show up on a stolen registry though).

Since you're new to riding, you might consider picking up something much cheaper and seeing how you like to ride and then using that to inform a bigger purchase.

5. The deal fell through anyhow, I'm still in the market for an all terrain bike the has a comfy ride. I'm not looking to go extreme just some relaxing riding. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. My bikes have been broke and I've been even more broke. But I finally got my trail bike back up an running as a single speed conversion. I really dig the simplicity of one gear. Such a pure riding experience.

32t front chainring
    16t sette cog and spacer kit.
    Sette chain tensioner
    Also brand new rear wheel, Mavic rim Shimano hub.

I'm waiting for the front wheel to buckle So I can buy the matching front wheel. [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Latest incarnation of my Cannondale.
    uploadfromtaptalk1463524018566.jpg
    I don't see anyone else in town doing urban/trials riding on a single speed cross country bike with street tires. It's kinda lonely.

Any ways spring is in way most place around the nation so I hope everyone is getting in some trail time.

8. Howdy folks, older gent here just getting back to smoking after divorce. Have a Giant Escape hybrid that I ride on the road and rail trails here. Just went out for my first ride and toke last week and it was awesome.

Been riding 4 years now. Going to do some touring next year. Erie Canal across New York and Pittsburgh to DC is in the plans at least.

Attached Files:

9. #29 Sunshine86, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    My 'cross rig
    IMG_0069.JPG

Not quite there yet but a damn sight better than when I got her. I still need to chop the steerer and I don't quite dig the red bartape as much as I did when I wrapped it up. I intend to replace the drivetrain with SRAM 1x before next season–the front shifting doesn't work quite as well as I'd like and I don't find myself needing the small ring that often anyway.

10. #30 Sunshine86, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    I'm currently overhauling an old Cannondale SR800 in preparation for Spring. Scored a smokin' deal on an 11sp 105 group over the holiday and am not-so-patiently awaiting its arrival. Pics when she's finished, of course.

IMG_0040.JPG

Close enough to complete to break cover. I need to size the chain, adjust the drivetrain, and find a set of brake pads that will clear the wide, oval shaped seat stays. The saddle, seatpost, and tires will, in due course, be replaced with a Bontrager Serano RL, a black Nitto S83 to match the original Technomic stem and Mod.185 bar, and a set of gumwall Clements to round out the retro-mod aesthetic. I was apprehensive about how the streamlined components and deep-ish (relative to what was en vouge in 1987) wheels would contrast against the frames classic shape but I'm very pleased with the result. She isn't the slimmest or best dressed gal at the dance but I'll bet she's a freak.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Anyone riding out there in the cold? Crappy sleet and snow now but been out riding as long as it's above 20°F. Beautiful out riding when the snow is coming down and it's after dark with my 800 lumen light. Just can't let the roads get too bad with just a 28mm road tire. I'll ride after dinner for 8 miles or so, stop at the local ball fields at the bleachers for a rest and a nice toke before heading back.

12. IMG_20170212_134518844.jpg yup riding everyday for college and about every 3 days doing a 10-20km tour around the city.

I love the snow to a certain point but at about 8"+ is where it starts getting un fun for me.

13. @TheSuperApe how's the single speed conversions doing for you? I've been thinking on getting away from the weight of the 3x8 drivetrain/ components and doing a single speed conversion on my bike. I got a new job so I will be packing on the miles( 40km/25ml week) between school, home, and work. and well my drive train is dead from non stop winter abuse( fr/t derailleur is protesting, rear mech heavy af, chain is done).

I've been looking at chain tensioners and seen that with my external BB I can get away with a stinger and completely take out the rear mech. only thing is, is what do I do for a rear cog? current gear tooth count I'm happy with is 24t R and 34t F. I'm running a 3x crank with a 96mm bolt circle.... so do the math with a low tooth chain ring and find a sutible cog for the rear

14. Single speed conversion is the shit. Big drop in weight and it makes your legs stronger at every cadence not just a few. Use the calculator that sheldon brown has on his website to find another front to rear teeth ratio that will work. Buy a cog that fits onto your 8speed rear free wheel and then use spacers to line it up with whatever front ring you want to use. You can buy chainring bolts for single speed conversions on a 3x crank that way you can take off the big ring and then take off the granny ring.

once you go SS you dont ever want gears again so be careful.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ya I've done a lot in the last couple days found out I could get by with 32-18 on my bike an for when I enjoyed it I did its now getting my legs into the mode of pedaling instead of spinning aswell the cranks I have are 96bcd so anything that is a 1x or shimano m8000 compatible and figured if I'm going into a something different I would opt for a oval ring.

I got all the items ironed out for the conversion, just have to wait until my first couple paychecks and till the snow is gone then I'm going to roll out the red ano bling

although I will miss my gears. it's always nice to hit a highly technical section of whatever and crawl though it in almost a 1:1 ratio.... 22t front 23t rear

16. Where is this ?!

17. Post Canyon trail system next to Hood River, OR.

• Like Like x 1
  18. My Cannondale in all its glory of custom parts and perfect fit got stolen. Which was my commuter.. I sold my Klein Fram pillaged of parts.

I'm putting part of my tax return towards a good bike cause I miss that shit.

Anyone out there been riding lately I can live vicariously through?

19. In any case, it's cool to have shared this with us.

20. #40 catt_chas, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    cool