wish i was born back then - the 50's

Discussion in 'General' started by 93til, Aug 30, 2011.

1. fuck the age we live in, im only 19 but everything is so screwed these days. dont get me wrong i have a great life and i enjoy every bit of it, but sometimes i just like to smoke a fat blunt and think about what it would be like if i was born in the 50's :rolleyes:. 50s greasers were the original badasses back then - it was america in its golden days, no technology or fuckin facebook separating people, no texting no twitter none of that bs.

imagine living in those days when music was real shit, not the watered down biebershit today where its all for money. people made music out of love and passion. music back then was the bees kneeees! from the temptations to ben king and the skyliners, frankie valli and the 4 seasons i could go on and on. compared to the trash they put out today the shit was golden. timeless
    just a couple greats:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0]Ben E. King - Stand by me - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c49klxPex-k]Dion And The Belmonts - Runaround sue - YouTube[/ame]

and dont even get me started on the cars, those things were the definition of swag, low riders bumping oldies, chevys, cadillacs some BADASS cars! the ones today are nothing like they were back then, they put so much style and detail into those cars

it would have been great to live without all the technologically useless bs we have today. all technology does these days is separate us further and further, so that we can talk to eachother without even having to see eachothers faces or even be near eachother. back then if you wanted to talk to a girl you liked, you'd call her up on the phone not send her some emotionless text
    when people were bored theyd go out and chill at a diner or something and do some social shit, when people get bored today, they sit on the asses watching tv or watching stupid shit on youtube, wasting their life away on the computer and video games...

idk maybe im just ranting or maybe i was born as a kid in the 50's in another life but im starting a revolution, get out, get active, live life to the fullest, dont lock yourself away at home or get lost in technology, youre lucky to be alive on this world, whos with me??:smoke:

2. I mean aside from the modern medicines, great technology, and advance in knowledge, fuck the 21st century.

3. Have fun being persecuted as a commie!

Although, I must admit Alfred Hitchcock movies are brilliant!

4. #4 Cubic Cuban, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
    The 50's :confused:

Fuck that, I'd wanna live the 60's/70's and smoke that original Acapulco gold, Panama red, drop some acid made by Owsley Stanly, smoke a joint with Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, John Lennon, Jimmy Page, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Jerry Garcia, Jack Kerouac, Johnny Cash, John Cipollina, Brian Jones, some guy named Jason, the guy who invented Jell-o, Jack Nicholson, that cute hippie girl wearing jeans named Jaime... I'd smoke a j with all those J's :smoking:

EDIT: Yeah there was a lot of racial tension in 50's, I'm guessing you're white? you could be a beatnik I guess... but i'd rather be a dirty hippie of the 60's :smoke:

5. As do I, everyday I wish this. Just cruising around having fun, hanging out.

I hate todays society, the wife and I are looking at land now and moving far away from the city, so we can just be ourselfs and not have to worry about getting hit with a stry bullet or being robbed.

6. That'd be cool if you are a white christian male.

7. Sorry. I love our age of information

8. Stand by me is a good song John Lennon did a good cover of it.

Dude above me has good taste in music.

Edit: Nevermind 3rd poster above me.

9. lol. I swear I just came from a smoke sesh where one of my friends was saying the exact same thing.

I don't see the appeal...

10. I wish i was born in 1950 so it would be 1969 right now. Ahh i wish

11. #11 93til, Aug 30, 2011
    yeah but see if you were born in the 50's youd get to live through all those eras anyways :hello:

i never really thought about the racism and shit though you guys are right lol still it would be pretty fucking fun, i mean like whats happening right now thats gonna be remembered 50 years from now? what makes the 21st century so great? not much, its just ignorance and stupidity everywhere and this country is literally going to shit with 14 trillion dollars in debt and were fucking up the planet

idk man i just feel like so much timeless stuff happened back then, you would be alive when sooo many legends were alive and in their prime, our country isnt producing anyone as influential or legendary as back then, i know someone feels me on this ..

12. Okay, the music and cars, and everyone wearing suits and hats was pretty cool in 50's. And the high feeling of coming down after WWII must have felt cool.

But everything other than that I can pass on.
    In the 50's women were still excluded from alot of jobs, minorities were discriminated against, some one else mentioned the fact that alot of intellectuals were harrassed and blacklisted during the red scare.

If you were an upper class, white, male, the 50's seem pretty nice. But I think I'll pass. I'll enjoy the culture and music from the 50's but be thankful I am alive now

13. life is struggle sometimes man, whos to say that you couldnt have been one of the open minded people striving for equality for everyone? protesting, marching, i mean some of the greatest music of all time was made back then over these kinds of struggles and discrimination

its not like we dont have problems today too, it would take me thousands of pages to list all the things that are fucked up with our government, country and society today

14. #14 Cubic Cuban, Aug 30, 2011
    That's really ironic dude lol, the fifties wear filled with ignorant, stupid white-trash people. Every generation has a counter-culture. The world is changing as we speak, look at the Middle East and all the people revolting over there. The US sucked ass in the 50's, we were in debt back then, too and fought a war nobody believed in. You gotta look at times on a global scale. Everyone thinks the past is so great, but the people who lived back then would say something like "Oh man, I wish i lived in the 30's when jazz was played regularly on the radio and life was just like the great gatsby." Or "I wish I lived in the time the founding fathers founded this country" ,etc...

My point is, we are living in an amazing time right now. With technology everything is much faster and easier and we can access things better. Back then, if you had to write a 1,000 word paper you'd have to sit at a type-writer or write it with a pen and count every word by hand. Now we have programs that automatically count them for us. That's just a small example of how we are spoiled by technology. And trust me, I'm all against texting/facebook/twitter/music on the radio, but don't take these times for granted. I used to be just like you, man. But believe me, you're fantasizing about a perfect world back then when in reality the world was not that great back then.. There will always be problems in a society, every time has it's ups and it's downs... And don't wait until 20 years in the future to appreciate the 'ups' we have now. Soooo much has changed in this country the last 60 years, some for the better some for the worst.

My main point is don't take the 21st century for granted, this is an amazing time to be alive, sure the 50's were more simple and shit, but you can't go back. Time only moves forward, and you gotta make the best of the times we are in, I bet you anything in 20-30 years kids will be like "Oh man, I wish I lived back in the early 2000's."

As for the music... We have the internet for a reason. There are soo many great musicians out there whose only exposure is through the internet, the fun part is finding them. Shit man, you could do so much with the internet, it's really a fascinating invention, but like everything else it has it's down sides. This is like my fifth time saying this, but don't take these times were granted man you only live once and you can't control what you missed. You can, however, be part of a change and revolution in thought that this country desperately needs. You can make the best of this present, you can be part of future kids saying they wished they lived in these times, it's all in your control my man just don't take the present for granted :smoke:

15. The 50's wasn't Wasup for blacks :(((

16. The 21st century is horrible because of 2 main reasons:

1. Humanity has formed a dependency on social media sites, actual socialization is starting to seem more and more rare. I can't walk a block without someone staring at a phone screen letting everyone know they're going to go walk to the gas station and come back to go poop.

2. Hip-Hop was killed.

17. #17 Sweetleaftoker, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    2. I wish

18. You guys are misreading the OP. He was saying he wished he was born in the 50s to be able to experience the 60s not experience the 50s lol. That being said, I agree the world is a better place without all this technology. I feel it's starting to negatively impact us rather than be a positive impact

19. The 50s and then were horrible times for a lot of people.

20. My dad was born in the 40s and according to him it was just as shitty then as it is now. The only part he said he missed was the fact there was like a mile between him and his neighbors