Wisconsin cannabis law reform efforts

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by WisconsinNORML, Oct 9, 2010.

1. So why do I keep hearing that given the current political situation, it likely wont pass this time around? I heard that comment from Rep. Pocan and someone interviewed on NPR. Are they talking about the legislators not passing it or are they talking about Gov. Walker vetoing it if it gets that far?

2. [quote name='"Johnny Utah"']So why do I keep hearing that given the current political situation, it likely wont pass this time around? I heard that comment from Rep. Pocan and someone interviewed on NPR. Are they talking about the legislators not passing it or are they talking about Gov. Walker vetoing it if it gets that far?[/quote]

They are talking about with all the movements to recall walker the bill is being overlooked and is not gonna get the proper attention it would need to pass

3. Almost got the signatures for a recall. They want plus %25 but i think only %10 are void

4. Overlooked by who, the legislators? Will the legislators stay the same if Walker gets recalled and we get a new Governor? I'm somewhat confused why the recall would cause the bill not to get the attention it deserves. It would make more sense to me that Gov. Walker would veto the bill if the legislators pass it based on his previous answer to MMJ. He said something like he agrees with the federal law that Marijuana should be illegal and Wisconsin should follow that law. That is why I asked if there would be a better chance of the bill passing if we had a different Governor. When will the legislators decide on this bill, in March? I'm just trying to understand how politics work here. I moved here from the west coast and always considered Wisconsin to be very open and liberal minded. You know - the Berkley of the Midwest! But, wow was I wrong.

5. There are as I understand it, 4 Senate Republicans targeted for recall as well. If just one gets recalled and voted out, the Democrats will take control of the Senate. However, that will have no effect on this bill, as the session ends in March 2012 before any election takes place.

The bill was out for cosponsorship until Dec 22. That means other legislators who support this enough to sign on. There are 15, I believe. I will get this information and post when it's confirmed.

The bill will soon be given Senate Bill and Assembly Bill numbers.

The bill is assigned to a committee in the Assembly and a committee in the Senate. There may be a public hearing scheduled - last session, it was joint hearing & was 8+ hours. Then the committees get to decide whether to send it to the Assembly and Senate floors respectively, who can then vote to send it to the Governor's office.

Madison, WI is the Berkeley of the Midwest.

6. The State of the State has been scheduled for January 25th at 7pm at the Capitol in Madison, WI.

Can you make it?

I have filed a permit with Capitol Police so that marijuana activists can assemble outside of the Assembly chambers where Gov. Scott Walker will be giving his address, as has been done in years past. If you have a press pass, you can enter the chambers for the address. Please no advertising, tables, displays, signature gathering unless you file your own permit as mine will not cover that.

This gathering has been good for getting a word in with the Governor, and getting face time with legislators before and after the address.

Please join us with signs (no sticks), literature and put your best foot forward to offer a quick few words to our legislators and Governor.

Tip: be prepared to only have a second or two up to 15 seconds to get your point across, as in past years my experience has been that it's all the time they want to give me. You may have better luck than I have.

7. I have already start spreading the word. Was really bummed out it didn't pass in 2010 so I'm all in for 2012

8. Which candidate is Wisconsin NORML endorsing for Governor in the June 2012 recall elections and why? There isn't much info out there that I can find on their (Barrett, Falk, Vinehout, or LaFollette) views on medical marijuana.

9. IIRC Barrett is pro MMJ:smoke:

10. WisPolitics.com: Wisconsin NORML: Marijuana law reform lobby day - Jan 16 at the State Capitol

Wisconsin NORML: Marijuana law reform lobby day - Jan 16 at the State Capitol

1/10/13

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

According to a recent AP news article Gov. Scott Walker said state residents would have to approve of marijuana reform, such as that passed by residents of Colorado and Washington, via referendum similar to Colorado and Washington.

Wisconsin's referendum process only allows for voter initiated direct legislation on a village or city ballot. This is different than Colorado and Washington and is codified in Wisconsin Statute 9.20.

The legislature must take action to place language on a statewide ballot for voters to have their say. A referendum must include language for the regulation and taxation of marijuana including hemp, allowing adults to consume or possess limited amounts of marijuana and allowing for cultivation, production, testing and retail sales of marijuana products.

Cannabis activists from across the state will be coming to the State Capitol to lobby our legislature to put such a referendum on the ballot. Please join us to move Wisconsin forward on this matter.

Jan 13 2-4pm @ WilMar Center 953 Jenifer St. Madison, WI - Lobby Training with former Capitol staffer and current union organizer $5 suggested donation.

Jan 14 7-9pm @ WilMar Center 953 Jenifer St. Madison, WI Madison NORML meeting will be Lobby Training with former Capitol staffer and current union organizer $5 suggested donation.

Jan 15 6pm @ WI State Capitol. Marijuana law reform activist presence at State of the State. Meet outside the Assembly chambers on 3rd floor of Capitol. In the past, this has offered us the opportunity to speak briefly with legislators. Have an elevator speech ready.

Jan 16 Lobby Day - Meet with legislators and staffers at WI State Capitol, lobby for the reform of marijuana laws. 10-4pm meet in rotunda at 10pm & 1pm if you'd like to lobby as a group.

11. good luck guys!!!

let's keep this thread hot as fuck to spread the word to all of the GC wisconsinnites!!!!!

This is an incredibly important state in the battle for legalization!!!!

12. Around Town: Marijuana activists get lesson in lobbying : Wsj

SAMARA KALK DERBY | Wisconsin State Journal | skalk@madison.com | 608-252-6439
    (0) Comments

Those advocating for marijuana legalization say that despite the Republican-controlled state Legislature, the time is good to lobby for their cause.

“The issue is fresh from a global and national perspective and we want to continue the conversation in the state as well,” said Nate Petreman, who since 2008 has been president of the Madison chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Marijuana rights activists say they are encouraged that the recreational use of the drug for adults became legal this month in Colorado and Washington. More than a dozen other states have decriminalized possession of small amounts, and Massachusetts recently became the 18th state to allow its use for medicinal purposes.

State Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison is taking over sponsorship of the medical marijuana bills from Mark Pocan, now a U.S. congressman.

Taylor, who wasn't at the lobbying session, said she is meeting with advocates to come up with a strategy before introducing the legislation. “I can't imagine we're going to wait too long because we have the bill and I think we're pretty much ready to go,” she said.

Ten people - members of the Madison NORML group and others interested in legalization - attended a planning session at the Wil-Mar Neighborhood Center on the city's Near East Side on Sunday in advance of their lobbying day Wednesday at the Capitol.

Shelle Michalak, a former State Assembly staffer, gave the group a primer on how to lobby legislators and will brief others in a second session at 7 p.m. Monday at the Wil-Mar Center.

Medical Cannabis Lobby Day is being planned as a full-day event, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Capitol. Advocates plan to meet at 10 a.m. and again at 1 p.m. on the first floor of the rotunda and then lobby legislators in groups.

“You guys are going to do the most effective type of lobbying, going face to face,” said Michalak, who gave the group a handout titled “Lobbying 101,” which included eight specific tips.

Michalak encouraged the budding lobbyists not to harass legislators or their staff members, and told them that telling stories is an effective tool. “It's compassion that you want to try to get,” she said.

Karen Kinsley, 54, who attended the session with her husband, Greg, has a story to tell. Kinsley was taking between 12 and 15 Vicodin a day, plus aspirin, to fight back pain caused by scoliosis, she said.

Then she started smoking marijuana, and within a couple of months her pain began diminishing, she said. Now, she can stand for more than 20 minutes.

She takes two pain pills in the morning and smokes marijuana the rest of the day to keep her pain at bay, said Kinsley, noting that her doctor has given her written permission even though there are no medical marijuana laws in Wisconsin.

Greg Kinsley said he believes the lobby day will have a big impact coming at the beginning of the legislative session. He said that the state particularly needs to re-examine the fact that second-offense marijuana possession in any amount is a felony in Wisconsin.

“We can't be having this stuff on the books when in other states it's completely legal now,” he said.

13. Closer and and closer everyday. We are almost there! We will get what the majority wants!

14. Glad to see were finally catching on, just a tad too late for me as I'm 14 days away from my apartment in Denver.

Good Luck WI!!

15. Opened thread. Saw word partisan. Left thread.

16. those conservative fuckers in northern WI wont let this happen.........scott walker is a bag of douche

17. It's sad. I just wish they would rely on what the people wanted. What ever happened to this country and 'we the people? I can guarantee that if the people of Wisconsin were voting for this, the majority would approve of it. I agree though, Scott Walker probably won't agree with it, but if the majority agrees, what gives our state the right to get the final say. How bout we get what the people want, that's what Colorado did, after all.

18. Legislators passed on to me that people are not contacting their legislators in Wisconsin enough that it's an issue on their radar.

Look up your Representative and Senator (Who Are My Legislators? - Wisconsin State Legislature) and call and ask that they sponsor or cosponsor a bill on:

Ending 2nd offense felony
    Referendum put to the voters
    Medical Marijuana
    Legalization
    Industrial hemp

19. i fuckin' love wisconsin.

20. I only like wisconsin for 6months, then winter comes... Along with construction. Lots and lots of construction. Yeah wisconsin needs to move it along and make more marijuana reform, besides the city of madison and dane county. :C