wiring?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by randgen, Feb 18, 2010.

1. I just received my light fixture and the whole thing was prewired with the socket except for the power chord. Being a total retard when it comes to electrical wiring it seemed best to ask here first.

The image below shows the light fixture. It has two wires, brown and blue and the power chord has three (blue, brown and a green/yellow striped). Should I wire it blue to blue and brown to brown? And where does the third one go?

Attached Files:

2. #2 nugz420, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
    blue to blue, brown to brown the third wire is a ground. look around for a screw they are usually green that is where you connect the green/yellow.

edit:hmm after looking at the picture not sure which screw would be for the ground.If it came with any diagrams id try to locate the ground screw on the diagram.Imma guess its the middle screw between the 2 in the middle of that plastic looking piece.(but I'd wait for someone else if you dont have a diagram never wired a lightfixture only wall outlets.)

3. Could the ground be the middle screw (in the center of the white plastic thingy). It doesn't seem to be serving another purpose (doesn't come through the metal). And the other one seems to be the one holding the whole thing in place.

If I ground it wrong to test could i damage the parts?

4. #4 nugz420, Feb 18, 2010
    like I said I have only wired wall outlets and the ground screws are almost always green.

how do the blue and brown wires connect to the plastic thing? If they are slid in the opposite side of where the fixture wires go in and there is a spot to slide in a wire in the middle and that screw in the middle locks it all down id say that would seem like the right way to wire it.

Edit: just make shure the screw is on bare wire not the coating of the wire.If the middle screw is indeed the ground which it appears to be you want metal on metal contact.

5. as long as the ground wire is "grounded" to anything metal then it will serve its purpose, but there should be a designated screw for it.

6. What confuses me is both of these screws have earth symbols. The rightmost one is real blurry but it most definitely looks like an earth symbol. I guess they're both ground?

Attached Files:

7. Alrighty then. Imma go with the one on the right then and hope the whole thing doesn't blow. Thanks both of you.

8. #8 nugz420, Feb 18, 2010
    how do the blue and brown wires connect to the plastic thing? If they are slid in the opposite side of where the fixture wires go in and there is a spot to slide in a wire in the middle and that screw in the middle locks it all down id say that would seem like the right way to wire it.

edit: np let me know how it turn out you have got me intrested lol (a picture after its all wired will be appreciated im sure it could help others aswell)

9. #9 randgen, Feb 18, 2010

Not sure what you mean, here's a pic where you can see the whole thing. Will post a pic when it's all set up.

Attached Files:

10. it definitely appears that the ground wire connects to that middle screw. just unscrew it a few turns and wrap the ground wire around it and tighten it back up.

11. I used the middle one and it works like a charm. Yay!

Attached Files:

12. nice what you growing strain wise?

13. Putting 4 feminized white widows under that thing. I'm so excited! I've grown before but last time I only yielded like 20 grams of 4 plants. Gonna add 2 40 watters on the sides and aim for at least a hundred g's this time.:hello: