Wiring question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Iluvwakytabaky, May 10, 2011.

1. Im trying to wire a Light fixture to light fixture to extension cord (6-7 lights in all) will this wire (14 but on the description all of it list automobile electrical parts) to an extension cord and possible add a fan or two. However is the wire (14gauge) ok to use with this extension cord (16 gauge 13 amp)

Attached Files:

2. Would love to help but I don't understand what your tryin to do?

3. i want to wire 6-7 light fixture together, using the red wire in the photo. then i want to wire those fixtures to the extension cord in the picture. so that i can plug that into a timer. I was wondering if the red wire would be ok to use and if it was ok to wire the whole thing to the extension cord. then sometime soon i want to wire up a few fans to the whole thing so that i can have a pc fan blowing up and down along with a few intakes and exhaust. but thats another time for now i just need to know about the compatability of the redwire and extension cord.

4. yes it should work if your meaning to wire hot/com both with that wire. As long as the wire you are using is equal or smaller than what you start with you are golden
    Usually you want to use 14gauge/2wire to wire that

5. #5 tplat, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011

I would buy some cheap exstension cords from like Lowes, Home Depot or Walmat for about $2.00 each and use that instead, just cut off the end you dont need and twist the wires together that you want to hook up and use the wire caps then wrap that with some electrical tape. as for your PC fans I read of a few people using cell phone chargers for that but didnt ask much about it.

6. Depends first and foremost on what the amperage draw is going to be with all of your lamps combined. Add up your total wattage and divide that by 110-120 to get an approximate amperage draw. If ur under the rated wattage of that cord ur ok, but personally I'd keep a close eye on a 16awg cord drawing a steady anything more than 10A. #14 carries more current than #16, so the cord you are feeding with will be the limiter.

That said, I don't understand ur plan really, but I would suggest that if we're talking about bootying stranded wire onto extension cords there is likely a better/safer way. If you can define the goal or plan a little more clearly we might find more options.

7. Like bhp70 watts divided by volts gives you amps this equation works backwards too if you know any 2 units watts/amps/volts you can figure out the 3rd. My cfls are rated milliamps (ma) that number 400ma for example gets divided by 1000 to get amps so 400ma=0.4a so you could run up to 25 on on 16ga if you ignore connections, less than 20 would be safer. Watch your connections, my ride is electric and they gave me lots of grief and some smoke when I doubled my watts. I personaly solder everything but if your gonna use crimps or wirenuts (Marettes) "tug test" all your connections as you go and feel around for hot spots after it's up and running.

I can help with the fans I have other hobbies that use em. Computer fans are 12vdc, go to your local thriftstore most will have a box of old chargers/powersuplies. The fans will run on more volts (don't last as long) or less (quieter) but it must be DC (direct current). Old super nintendos have a fairly big one and ancient laptop chargers work if you need to run lots of fans like 10 or more. Get a $10 voltmeter, if not, most of the fans I've used for other things have tolerated reversed polarity (hooked up wrong) if your unsure and don't have a volt meter just strip and touch the wires see if it turns, if not reverse em they will not run backwards. If you are recycling fans peel the sticker off the back and put a drop of 3 in one oil or similar in the bearings and old grindy ones get quiet again.

8. Even on 110V, (we have 240V here), 10 x 23W CFLs will only use 2A, so overloading isn't probably a worry, but if the 'light fixtures' are HIDs, I wouldn't use that wire.
    It all depends on the current draw, as mentioned.

I would also suggest that you be very careful or even get someone else to do it, since you don't appear to know too much about electricity.

9. I know it's not the best drawing but hopefully u get the idea tho. Light to light to light, to extension cord to timer.

Attached Files:

10. You can alwats use thinker wire (lower gauge) 14 is good for 15 amp circuits.

Im a aprentice electriction