Wiring CFL's using PVC Fixture

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sparky73, May 6, 2011.

1. After reading many DIY articles about the PVC CFL Fixtures, I decided to build one. I've got all my supplies and the frame built, but I'm not sure of the best way to wire it, and not sure what gauge wire to use.

I have 8 lights, so I'm hoping I can wire 4 together so I only have 2 plugs. The sockets I bought are 16g, but I've read a lot about using 14g. Will I be okay with 16 or should I get 14? The lights are 23w each.

Also, I plan on soldering all connections and wrapping them in electrical tape. Is this the best way?

Thanks guys! :smoke:

2. Bump. I would like to get wiring! :D

3. #3 Moto823, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
    (4) CFL's at 23 watts a piece is 92 watts, less then 1 Amp total.

According to NEC 400.5 for flexible cords (since it sounds like you are plugging into a regular 110v outlet) Max ampacity for 16 AWG wire is 13 amps, you are well under that mark.

However, the reason 14 gauge is recommended is due to the fact that a 110v outlet will most likely have a 15 or 20 amp breaker - well above the max ampacity of 16 gauge. Should there be a short circuit in your wires or bulb, it could melt the wires (or start a fire) before it trips the breaker.

If everything works properly 16 gauge is suitable, in a short circuit situation it wont be.

With electricity, your better safe then sorry. A 25ft roll of 14/2 romex (that includes a ground as well) is around $15 at home depot I believe.

For most wire to wire connections a wire nut is best. Its easy to remove if one fixture is changed, or if you wired incorrectly.

What do you mean by sockets? The light receptacle or the plug outlet?

4. I'll run to the store tomorrow and pick up the 14 awg then. By sockets, I mean the part that the bulb screws into.