wiring cfl's? help please!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hmmm123, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Please can someone help me out here and tell me how to wire some cfl lights up only about 4 20 watt blubs. I can't find any y-splinters anywhere in the uk. Could i use one of these?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...efview=lister&ts=1212878704271&isSearch=false

If so how? i'm not good with electrical stuff!

Or i was thinking i can buy the light holder and plug for just under £5 would it be better just to get say four of them and just plug them all into an extention? Would that be safe?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies! :smoking:

2. just buy the lampholders and plug them into a fused extension. maplins do a really good 10 gang tower one for about £25. i have all my stuff plugged into one and all is fine. got to be safer than wiring up yourself using directions from the internet!

3. I was thinking the same thing about it being safer to use lampholders but i bet it's cheaper doing it the other way if you know what your doing.

4. Buy the lampholders! I do know a bit about wiring but still had a blonde moment and wired up my fan speed controller wrong, and the damn thing blew out while I was holding it! :eek: Seriously, leccy will kill you or burn you to death in your sleep if you get it wrong. If you want to DIY it the just buy the correct lampholders, new electrical flex and plugs from maplins or wherever, make the leads then plug those into an extension. Everything will then be fused seperately and the lampholders and plugs are almost impossible to wire up wrong.

5. Also, I just looked at the specs of that connector you linked. It is only 3 amp, you want 13 amp or it will constantly blow out with the load AND it seems to be designed for a specific range of lighting. Is this the lighting you will be using? If it isnt you will have to wire up the lampholders anyway, so you may as well just make up individual leads.

Always good to save money so I see where you're coming from, but these lights will be on a lot so best to get it right.

Good luck man! :hello:

6. yeah good advise i need to do that soon can you just get em from B&Q or some where i have my plant on under car inspection lamps plugged into the mains. lol