Wiring a thermostat to control a fan...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Cez, Sep 19, 2008.

1. is this possible to do? I am wanting to draw fresh air in with one of my inline fans but I want it controlled by a thermostat so its not running all the time. I know I can just buy one that can control it from my local shop, but to be honest 150 to turn a fan off and on is just crazy. Anyone done this before that can help me out?

thx

2. spent $17 on a honeywell thermostat at walmart, and wired it up to my intake fan in about 10 mins...

3. could you tell us how you hooked it up....I tried to hook my thermostat up to a power source and blew the thing:mad::mad:....please tell which terminal to hook the wires up too and how you have it hooked up to power

4. It sounds like you connected the power source to where your motor should be... But it could be something else.

Someone telling you exactly how to set it up is almost impossible to to do, not all models have the same wiring colors or setup... You need to determine which wires are you feed wires (incoming electricity) and which wires are your output wires... Then which ones are hot and common and possibly a ground(it should be grounded, but I have seen some that don't have a ground)

All this information should be in your owners manual/instructions... Look for the technical specifications or wiring diagram.

Also, if you did everything correctly and it still blew, check your voltage/amperage from the power source... And less likely of a possibility is that your motor is trying to pull more power than your thermostat will allow(Usually your fan would just run slower or not at all if it's not getting the right voltage)

After that, if you're still confused, I suggest you get someone else to do your electrical because your understanding is too limited, and you may be posing a danger to yourself.