wiring a computer fan?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stoned budda, Dec 12, 2007.

1. hey im building a portable three part grow cabinet on wheels, completly self contained. im thinking of using computer fans, one in each compartment for venting. i was wondering if i could wire one to a 12v cordless drill charger as they are available to me. anyone ever try it before......................peace

2. i just got done removing the computer fan from my grow box because i got new ones....wiring it up to the power drill charger would be pointless because when your remove the fan from a computer the fan is usually in a small box with the power cable comming out of the box and a bunch of wires the connect to you computer u can just leave those wires alone and just plug the cord up and your power button should also be removed from the computer and all you have to do is plug it up and turn on the power button and the fan kicks on............now if you meant wiring it up to a cordless drill battery..i have no idea i dont even know if thats possible

3. well i was gonna buy a couple of computer fans from circuit city, but again they're all 12v dc, i know someone out there has done this, there was a thread a while back where this issue came up, i guess i should have paid more attention cause i tried seartching for it and cant find it............................peace

4. ok take your fan. find the positive and negative wires (usually black and red). take your drill charger. cut the end off that plugs into your drill. split the two wires, ones positive and ones negative. connect the positive wire on the fan to the positive wire on the drill charger, and the negative to the negative. if your not sure which is which, just try them both and you have the combination right when the fan turns on. lastly, COVER THE OPEN WIRES WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE.

hopefully that helps, if you were trying to hook the fans up to the drill battery and not the drill charger, then sorry i dunno haha. but gooduck

5. hey thanks man.....................peace

just tried it, it works great nice an quiet, and they're cheap as hell a 40cfm fan is only $4 at circuit city, cool........................peace

6. glad it works well...keep posting about the box your working on, that sounds cool as fuck

7. how much light do you have going?

I can't belive that is enough power for you...I've got 4 90 cfm fans, 2 for intake 2 for exhaust and my temps are still way too high (I'm just leaving the box open bc they're in veg).

My power supply supports 7 fans total so I guess I'm just gonna have to spring the extra money...2 more exhaust and an intake...

8. You should buy a cheap power supply for a pc.

You don't need a good one just for fans, then you can attach them all together.

9. Don't know how much the charger costs you (free?) but I wouldn't call power supplies cheap...at circuit city/best buy/comp usa the cheapest i could find was $50 to power fans that cost ~$20 each :eek:

10. yeah will do they work great

11. im going with a 70w hps in the flowering chamber and in the veg chamber 70w mh, there will be various cfl's placed through out. the hid lights i m making out of security lights from homedepot, im building too reflectors for them with their own vent fans so actually ill have 8 fans hooked up, i decided this today when i bought the lights,,,,,,,,peace

12. never thought of it souds like a good idea

13. i got a bunch of them from an old job i had, as far as the fans $5.99 apeice at circuit city picked them up today.......peace