wireing lights 208

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gatoradei860, Aug 25, 2009.

1. I have lights wired 110 right now but they are multi tap. 208 277 . I guess its ment for 3 phase? If so to get 208 you only use 2 legs off the 3 phase box. Can I just run it off my house box at 220? 220 is within the 6 percent it says everywhere to stay within. and the house only got 2 legs . So whats up with this?

2. whoa. You do not have 3-phase unless you live in a large industrial factory.

220 Goes directly from one "leg" to the other, rather than from one leg to neutral like the 110. If you open up your panel and look at a 220 breaker they are simply two 110 breakers tied together. As you go down the breakers, every other breaker is on an opposite "phase" (If you pull all the breakers you can see how the two bus bars alternate) Typically these are wired with a red and a black, each coming off one tap of the 220 breaker. You wire this into a 220 outlet red to one post, black to the other lust like you would black/white in a 110 outlet (all plus ground of course).

But why do you want to change? The only advantage I can see is to keep your cords cooler. Running higher volts means running less amps but the wattage used (what they bill you for on an hourly basis) is the same.

3. i know I dont have 3 phase I was just wondering if i took a 3 phase light that that only takes 2 legs of it to work like 208 . Will it work on the 2 legs from a standard house panel.

4. did you read my post?

There's no reason to change to a higher voltage unless you're running a lot of lights.

Leave it alone and keep running 110.

no lights run on 3 phase. none