Wire Mesh use as homemade screen?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by anihilation, Jan 30, 2014.

1. So I love doing waterfalls in the morning after a shower but the hole in the socket is a little big and my weed keeps getting sucked through before it fully ashes, wasting weed. So I looked around the house for something to use as a screen just to keep spending to a minimum and I found one of three sifters that has a wire mesh used as a screen for cooking etc. So I popped out the screen and I was wondering if this would be effective as a screen. It's very flexible but my concern is inhaling metal or possibly making the smoke taste funky. I washed it with scent free dish soap. Is this enough? Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Man I would say you have two options 1.try it or 2. Research the shit out of it lol Sent from my SCH-M828C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I did some research and the correct term is "strainer" (no pun intended) but it is made of stainless steel. Is this safe? Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. 12 years old?

5. Ss is okay to smoke with, you'd be better with glass though

6. I actually do that...seems alright, gets resined but its resin, not black cuz its burnin

7. Stainless steel is safe. And effectiveness is all based on how large the spaces are in between the mesh. You want them to be as thin as possible while still being able to pull smoke through 'em.

8. Stainless Steel Wire Mesh Screening is the only way to go here:

From what I have learned, the opening in the mesh is smaller as the mesh count goes up.  So a 100x100 wire mesh has 100 wires in every inch of material - while a 2 x 2 wire mesh has only 2 wires per inch.  For more specifics you can check it out here:

www.bwire.com

You are going to want to use something higher than a 20 count mesh for sure - this is pretty fine material.