Winter Outdoor?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by ElDiablo, Oct 17, 2008.

1. I discovered a lean to attached to an old sawmill on my property yesterday! it is of nice size and covered from all sides by privet hedge. My first thought was to remove the tin roof and cover it with greenhouse material. In my climate it is mostly hot and humid with mild winters. The coldest it gets is in February; with about two to three weeks at about 20 F at night. Am I crazy to consider going all winter or should I just use the space to get a jump on next year in the early spring?

2. The plants flower when the days get shorter, so if you start it now the days are getting shorter, and then they will be getting longer after winter solstice which will totally mess up their natural life cycle. I would just use this time to get ready for the spring if I were you :cool:

3. That is what my common sense told me. Just enjoying the outdoor thing so much I don't want it to end.:)

4. I know what you mean man. I'm gonna start buying stuff this winter, this will be a year long project. I'm thinking of constructing a veg/drying cabinet with a fan and air filter built in to control the smell.. I'll be spending a lot of time at home depot lol

5. Damn' man 20F is not a mild winter...

Where I live it gets down to 70F.

6. I live in south Florida and it doesn't get cold during the winter here at all, the lowest it goes is probably 70. I was wondering also if an outdoor grow is possible, the only thing being against me; the amount of light it would get during the winter..
    Would the plant die, or just not flower until the next season?

7. It would try to go in to flowering ASAP and yield would be absolutely minimal.
    Unless you veg your plants inside under 18/6 and then take them outside for flowering.

8. I put my plants outside during the day and under a few CFLs at night, so Im not worried about early flowering. But, does setting the lighting to 12/12 at a young age hurt the plant? I just want my plants to show flowering so I can see the sex, then go straight back to vegging 24/0.

9. #9 OldSkool1010, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
    It gets down in the lower 40s sometime here in s. e. florida. I do grow year round but I vegetate indoors and put the plants outside to flower from fall to early spring.

If you grew outside exclusively right now the plant would begin flowering as soon as it was mature enough. It would be similar to growing 12/12 from seed indoors. Haven't read up on that and never tried doing it so I don't know if that is a viable technique.

10. Whats an ideal temp to flower in then? My temp is slightly colder here in north Fl.

11. If you're in the northern hemisphere and it is fall then just leave the plants outside for a week or so until you can tell the sex. Once you know resume your 24 hours light to veg as long as you want.

12. As OldSkool1010 said or leave them inside vegging and put just one branch/each plant in a black bag until the sex shows.

13. Oh ok thanks, that makes sense. Though it would flower as soon as it was mature enough, I'd like to know if this would risk the health of the plant, like would it die?
    Like let's say that right now I'm just interested in seeing if I'm able to keep it alive, not being so concerned with yield at this point..

14. Not unless it freezes or is a cold sensitive strain.

15. #15 thisisfunforme, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
    iam in florida toand actually tryign this right now.. i planted in the begining of augest..... it was just one seed that turn'd out to be female and so fars its been flowering for a week... its deffin more stretched and lanky then usual but shes still doin her thing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    th[​IMG]
    shes tired up thats why shes all pulled in different directions... you cant see the fishing line

16. she's tied or tired? anyways, how do you think she'll do when it gets chillier?

17. for some reason i cannot post a new thread which is what ive been trying to do, i still can reply to threads though... i think my basturd isp might be behind it. i understand this is hijacking whatever thread you got going here, sry. hopefully someone can make take this and post it as a thread i would appricate it, here goes.

Title : Good time to buy seeds?? And ISP might turn us in????

I went to canaseed.com With so many seedbanks online canaseed.com acts like a headshop price comparison to help you buy for the best deal, or in theory. For instance if you click on pure power plant you will see it can be bought the cheapest right here at grasscity. Im not sure the site actually checks all the headshops though, I searched for whitewidow and only got 2 results and we all know that almost every headshop sells that strain. I couldn't find jack herer listsed there either. Is today a good time to buy seed for next year?

As for my isp, I have charter, use windows XP and use firefox browser. I tried to go to canaseed.com and my browser said it was a “attack site” and all this bs. I couldn't click on any links on canaseed without this block coming up. I have no parental controls on here and this never happened before. Can we trust our ISP's?. I ended up calling up internet explore and seemed to get around most of this nonsense. Might be safer to place all orders from a diff computer… .The other option is that canaseed really is a malicious site. Has anyone done any bizzness with them or had any problems with canaseed.com?

Is it true plants need extra “K” when flowering?

18. i tie'd her down to let more as much sunlight to the inside of the plant as possiable... it doesnt get to cold where i live my frost dates are for the first 34 days of the year... but she will be long done by then.......

sorry for the thread hi-jacking:smoke:

19. I use FF and WinXP Pro without the windoze firewall (I'm not trusting my pc security to programs from the most exploited software co.)

The security settings in FF are:
    Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
    Tell me if a site I'm visiting is a suspected attac site
    Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery

My AVG link scanner is active as well. I have never bought any canna related products online so I can't vouch for the site but I was able to access and navigate the site without any warnings.

Scan your pc for trojans or other malware. maybe there's something running you don't know about.

20. Hey Oldskool and Leap thanks for the replies. I will most likely wait until spring or try just flowering outside.