Winter grow in cold barn

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by After the shot, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Hello GC. Total newbie here but have been researching for years. I live in New England and winter is approaching. My state just legalized recreational use and growing. I would like to start a grow when the date of legalization goes into effect. I will be setting up a 4x4 grow tent in the upstairs of an uninsulated, unheated barn. I am wondering if, I built a room out of 1" foam board insulation a little larger than the tent, do you think an oil filled, electric radiator type heater outside of the tent would do the trick? I will be vegging under a 2' 4 bulb t5 and flowering under a 600w hps. I will run the lights on during the night( coldest time outdoors) and off during daytime to take advantage of the natural heating of the upstairs from the sun beating on the roof (to minimize some electric usage.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Just an idea... but how about autos? Put that 600watter in your tent, use the t-5's as supplemental light and leave the light on all winter. Plus a electric heater will use just as much electricity or more than your light

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

3. That would be the better solution. A couple of these Grape Crinkle autos in a 4x4 tent they would be done in 2 and a half months from sprout and done right he would have 1.5 pounds of bud!

GC2_day70.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Are you suggesting 24 hrs light on? So if I'm running the 600w for heat, should I nix the t5 and use an mh bulb for veg?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Make sure your barn does not catch fire. Why not grow in your closet indoors? What if a nasty storm comes up and you lose electrical power? With sub zero temps, your plants will die. Good luck anyway!

6. Why would the barn catch fire? I would rather the barn burn down, than my house. And if there is an outrage, I will run my generator.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sure ...... use mh for veg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

8. #8 killset, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    I garden in an outdoor gardening shed. if your winters are anything like ours, which new England definetly can, a light alone will not keep temps in check. There's also no thermostat attached to a light so no way to set the temp. Lets say it does keep temps reasonably decent, If you run out of room and have to flower before nice weather, then what are you going to do when the lights out? what if the bulb fails when your not around? Where's the fresh air coming from? The freezing barn? The light will doubtfully keep up with the exchange of air. The list goes on and on when it comes to environments like a cold barn or my cold gardening shed. been there, done that.

Theres too many complications created relying on a light for heat.