Windowsill Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kokes, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Hi,
    have you ever been wondering if you can grow a nice bud on your windowsill?

If you have, and you have done your research, the answer is clear. It is not worth the trouble. That is precisely what I found. But it didn't discourage me from giving it a try. These plants are grown in Prague, Czech R.

Here is my first video where first plant just started to show hairs.

Here is my second video I have done yesterday (I believe) where all three plants are flowering.

My setup is very simple. I bought 50 l bags of soil and cut half of each bottom off. I placed them in the largest boxes I was able to find and covered the holes in bottoms of the bags with some more soil. I had the original pots (dog food cans) on the windowsill, after transplanting the plants into bags I was gradually moving them lower and lower in order to maximize the used window area. Two of the three plants are now sitting on the floor.

That's about all. I planted few seeds in the end of March and took good care of the plants. During the heat of summer I was watering daily, now I water once in 3-5 days, depending on how rainy it is.

I only fertilize with my own urine. I store my piss in buckets closed tight in my cupboard in order to prevent the smell from leaking into my appartment. The old piss stinks horribly or worse. Once the urine is old enough (few weeks at least) I pour it into soda bottles and keep it there. During watering I fill my mason jar with cold tap water and add little piss until the water gets slightely murky and light golden color. That's all I ever gave them.

I use no artificial lights. I never turn my lights on. I do get some light from street lights outside during night, but not much. I keep my widows crack open at all times at two places in order to get breeze. I use no air filters of any kind. My windows are on a slightely dirty side, which makes the plants nearly invisible from the outside.

2. Oh yes, one more thing. Please don't make fun of me using urine. It works great or better. I have even successfully grown in hydro (!) setup with nothing but water and piss. One just needs to follow the nose. If it stinks, it is too strong. It will make your life hell and you will burn your plants. Dillute!

3. Using urine is really bad advice to give newbs. I find it hard to believe you went from seed harvest using nothing but urine and water, it just doesn't provide all the nutrients a cannabis plant requires.

Also, on anothet note that is disgusting. You can't afford to spend <50$ on nutes?

4. Human urine has amounts of nitrogen, now that's good for the plant, but not in the amount in human urine. Even if it is diluted why not just do what CanadianOrganic said and use nutes? I'm really confused as to you you would use urine over spending a bit of money, I promise you would have much better plants with nutes.

5. #5 kokes, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    Use your nutes as you like. I had been using it, too. Many kinds. Piss works just fine. I use it and I am happy with the results. And yes, I had been growing indoor with bubbler just on that. It was indeed due to lack of money on my side. The nutes ran out and my choice was that or water only. I wasn't certain how it would turn out. It worked. It works now. It has been working for 100s of millions of years and the chances are that it will work into the future as well. Disgusting or not, that makes no difference. Bat shit is reportedly the best fertilizer out there. What do you think you buy when you buy organic fertilizer?

Concerning P and K and micronutrients I know I could get more, but I am not in situation when I can choose. What I can do and do is I eat as much broccoli and cauliflower as I can.

Most importantly, this whole thing wasn't my point at all. My point is that you can grow on windowsill with very good results. It is very inexpensive and easy even for newbies.

6. You are a moron

7. Windowsill sucks.the window blocks out way too much uvb and let's hardly any lumens thru. But hey go for it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #8 kokes, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014

I prefer "pragmatist". I invested less than USD 20 into everything and will get x ounces of the weed. It is obvious that besides plain outdoor this is the biggest bang for the buck you can get.

I must confess my reasoning is way simpler than that. Instead of measuring lumens and considering ultra short wavelengths I just figured glass was OK since not too many people complain about the plants not growing well in greenhouses.

9. I believe glass is different than clear plastic . I'm going to reasearch it later and I'll copy links

10. And I would use miracle grow before my own urine . just saying. Organic fertilizers are made up primarily of bat shit or chicken and turkey shit etc. I highly doubt that any good organic fertilizer has human shit or urine in it. I May be wrong though

11. This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Windowsill grows suck, the glass blocks out the good stuff. Greenhouses use horticultural glass.

Just put the plant outside.

12. Here is what I have discovered about a window grow:

1. you may only get popcorn sized buds and they will all be on the window side because there is not enough light on the other side.

2. Piss, weather dilluted or not, has a high saline content and will fuck your plants up. I could just imagine the taste.

I posted the "piss stored in a closet for 2 weeks" section in the NGCMBL thread because that was a total asinine thing to post.

13. Hey silent bob, this weed tastes like flies n piss

14. Have you had a successful run with this method?  I'm pretty sure of the answer, but tbh your plants look better than I expected after reading this thread.  One thing to consider is the last 2 months of a plants life is where the magic happens.  Vegging is one thing, but the light you get from budding is not going to cut it.  Mentioned you have experience growing indoor in a bubbler, guessing under HID lights?  You're not going to get anything near the quality of bud this way.  

Couple of questions.  First is this room unused at night?  I'd be afraid of accidentally flipping on a light at night.  Second do you have some kind of water proof liner under those bags?  If not, your human litter box is going to leak all over the place.  Third that's not exactly stealth from any perspective, what are the cultivation laws where you live?  In the US, except for a handful of states cultivation is a felony.  One needs to weigh the risk vs. rewards of a situation.  Where I live the risk of this setup for so many reasons would not outweigh the rewards.

Best of luck.  Please don't take this as hating, rather words of experience.  

15. Yes, I was 16 at the time. My plants got quite large, but they only yielded a couple of grams. I hope you don't abandon this thread, I'd like to see you pull ounces of nice bud off your windowsill.

Got any pics of your previous grows?

16. #16 kokes, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
    Thak you for your replys. Here are my few cents:

Me too. But I have been unemployed for a year, at the moment I am facing foreclosure and have no money whatsoever.

1. I disagree. My largest plant is about 7 feet tall, my largest bud about 3 inches in length. The plants are nowhere near finished yet.
    2. Yes, I killed my plants with too strong of a solution last year. This is my 3rd time growing with urine. First time in bubbler the taste was good, so was the second time on windowsill with soil. I will see if something changes this time. I doubt it, I don't see any reason why it should.
    3. I have no clue what NGCLMB stands for. Thank you for teaching me new word "asinine". I've never seen it anywhere before. On the other hand I disagree that my methods are asinine. Unusual, perhaps.

Well, not really. Last year I killed my plants, far from finished. Before I was living in a village and I was growing outdoor. Before that I was living in a city but growing indoor under MH/HID. Anyway, the best weed I ever smoked was grown on a windowsill. And I have smoked a lot of weed, being pothead for 20 years.

I only have one room, and share it with my dog. So it is occupied. But I am lucky to have been cut off the electricity for several months now, so I can't turn my lights no matter what I do. I only use candles, and very little. Last year I didn't turn my lights on neither but my monitor was bright enough to make my neighbours joke about my "beautiful tomatoes".

Under two of them, yes. Under third one, no. There is only a banana box. It never gets wet underneath, I water my plants with just 1 liter at a time, not enough to make it all the way through the bag.

I already mentioned that the plants are very hard to see from the street below, not even during a noon. I will make pictures and post them here, you will see. I live in Czech R. Growing 5 plants and less is considered minor fellony punishable by fine only. And I don't fear fines any more having nothing to lose.

I have few, but haven't discovered a way to post them here. The pics aren't on the internet, just on my harddrive. Any advice?

17. I was just wondering why you don't trim the junk off the lower part of the plant? it's not gonna produce anything anyway, the dirty windows are not helping, does it help keep them hidden? I haven't heard of anyone growing this way before but hey, go for it brother hope to see you pull a decent amount of bud off of it, if your happy with what your doing that's all that matters    PS I think I will  stick with my fox farms nutes 

18. #18 kokes, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014

I was thinking about that. I think I can disprove it with ease. Two points:

First. My grandma's greenhouse is made of plain glass. So are most greenhouses I have been to. They all work.

Second. There are basically two methods for searching for illegal grows. One is IR radiation scanning, it is used to find heat emitting from indoor growrooms. The other is UV radiation scanning, used to find the plants in the open. This second method is based on the fact that the MJ plants glow with UV light. Now look at this from physics perspective. The surfaces are colored because they reflect certain part of spectrum and absorb the rest. MJ plants therefore reflect UV. Therefore they don't absorb it. Therefore they don't need it, or much less so than other plants around. Glass is a good UV absorber, which is great news. Your plain windows will make your plants invisible for the black helicopters.

I already have. I originally thought I would move the plants back up when I cut the tops off for second go. But I only have 2 months left before my case gets court hearing and executor walks through my door.

I think so. In any case, it is rather because I am a sloppy person.

19. #19 Levitatum, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    are there black helicopters out there looking for a humungus two plant grow? I hope that they would have better things to do than catching an unemployed Czech R resident with a two plant piss grow. If the black helicopter guys do come, you can ambush them with a head of cauliflower since it would be readily available.

20. #20 homer simpson, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014

You just contradicted yourself.  Your not worried about glass filtering UV rays, yet excited about the benefits of the filtering capabilities of your glass?

Thunderfuck did have a good point, the glass in quality greenhouses is not the same as in your window.  If it is, it's not a quality greenhouse.

Law enforcement using UV detectors to find plants is a great myth, pretty sure it was started by them as a fear tactic.  When a helicopter spots plants it's for 3 reasons.

1-Someone snitched on you and they are confirming.

2-Greed, there is a field of pot the naked eye could spot hundreds or thousands of plants.

3-Stupidity/laziness.  The spot your plants are in are obvious, ie bare dirt, plants in neat rows, garbage or any other signs of human presence where it shouldn't be.  Once again the naked eye and some binoculars are enough.

Could say a 4th is they just got lucky, but one of the 3 factors above usually plays a role.