Windows10/Linux Issue. Calling all fellow super nerds. HELP A BLADE

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Lipsmoker, Jan 10, 2016.

1. So... being an idiot. I got high and decided to check online to see how well my laptop would accept Kali linux (Asus x501a, 64bit) And it's great apparently, So i downloaded the 64bit Kali Distro set it up with rufus blabla. And ran Kali live via usb, Partitioned my C drive with gparted - The one with windows on) down to allow 80gb of allocated for Kali. Anyway, I reboot, And Kali i go to install kali, Use the reccomended setting, (Use the largest open space) sort of option. can't remember the exact wording, And it installed fully then rebooted, Now i have 0 drives in bios... nothing. I only ever had my 1 hdd as this has no cd drive, And now it's not visible, There is NO boot options like safe or fast boot incase anybody suggests this.

I obviously couldn't launch Kali or windows because they are both installed on seperate partition in the missing c drive..

Ran back into kali live via usb, And my drive is there... Just sat there by itself, I can manually view all the files inside.

I have never flashed bios and i can't get into windows to flash bios anyway. I really have no idea what to do, I was messing around with rebuilding the Boot manager using a Windows 10 install disc and going to command prompt, the commands all worked with elevation but that's the boot order and is not fixing my invisible drive.

It's so frustrating being able to see my Drives in Windows 10 recovery CMD, and in gparted in kali live...

Anybody know what commands could possible get them back? Either on Kali linux or Windows CMD.

2. See if your bios has "secure boot" option. If it does, disable it and see if that helps.

3. #3 jay719, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    Your boot sector has nothing to do with how your drive is seen in bios. Also Bios IS seeing the drive or it would not be available to be seen from a recovery disk. Why can't you just wipe the drive and reinstall?

Really the more I think it just sounds like the Linux install just fucked your mbr. Should be be able to run a fix mbr command and over write the changes made by Linux as long as you did nothing to the partitions