Windows 7 via bootcamp

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by I Wayne, Dec 27, 2011.

1. I installed windows 7 home premium on my macbook pro. Now stupid me didnt see the super tiny little description on the top right of the box that states windows vista upgrade only.....So now I need to figure out how to get around providing my product key for a clean install, instead of an upgrade. Someone suggested installing an older version of windows but I feel like theres a way around this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...thanks.

2. Shouldn't you just have to put in your old disk during a certain point during the install? Not sure, kinda fuzzy, haven't done an upgrade in a very long time, and never with Vista or Windows 7.

3. my old max os x disc? i got all of windows 7 and os x installed into windows. but randomly a few days later it says i have 23 or so days to activate it via a product key...and the product key i have is for an 'upgrade', not a 'clean install. FUCKING BULLSHIT. i hate computers

4. Installing windows on a mac=fail

5. thank u for the worthless advice. does anyone know if cracks are possible

6. Dude just install windows 7 without a key, then install it again while logged into windows. It "tricks" windows into thinking youre doing an upgrade. Microsoft condones this practice and it is well known as far as I know. Worked for me on a clean install. Never tried it in a virtual machine but it should work. If bootcamp does not allow you to do this, then yeah you need a cracked copy of windows 7 or get a Volume License Key from somewhere somehow.

7. if this works i will legit send you cash lol. thank you so much. im gonna try it pater tonight

8. The double install didnt work, I kept getting "windows was unable to create a required installation folder (erroer code # 0x800700050)"

I tried the "boot with the upgrade setup media" but I didn't know if I had to click the windows 7 software as it was booting up, cause I realized too late when my comp was booting up it had a select line. But I didn't go back I went to the second method...

The registry hacked worked lol clean and with no issues. Thank you a ton man...I wish my rep counted for something cause you def deserve some and I know this guide will help people out in the future. Do you think if I tried installing windows 7 on another comp with these same discs/product key it'd work?

9. I doubt it but I have read some success stories. Give it a shot. It is illegal but so is everything else besides eating and sleeping so fuck it.