Window AC light Leak

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BuddBrotha, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Cheers all. Can anybody here in the community please bless me with some ideas on keeping the light from leaking through my window ac unit into my room. If greatly appreciate the ideas and advice, thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grow auto flowers

Or

You can build some type of deflection device, maybe adhere it with gorilla duct tape and deflects the cool air down (as heat rises naturally)

Kind of like a hood scoop pointing down. So light gets diffused into that and the cool air still comes into the room

Cardboard maybe????

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 ChiefRunningPhist, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Moon shines during the night in nature. I've heard people claim light leaks caused hermies but I think the light was less the issue while genetics and environment were more the culprit. If the light leak is great enough that it illuminates the room or creates a sliver of bright light that lands on plants then sure, but if it's not doing these things then I personally don't think twice about it. Aluminium foil works great at blocking light. Duct tape will hold it in place.

EDIT:
    You could also put any DIY hood you make on the outside of the AC unit if it would be easier to block light from that side compared to mitigating on the inside. Spray painting the hood black or using dark colored materials would further reduce reflection compared to a white hood that won't absorb the light itself and could reflect the unwanted light to other problem areas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. I agree with @ChiefRunningPhist, the light leak thing is way overblown! There are two basic types of hermies- the genetic hermies (like the Mexican example below) that will hermie no matter what you do, and the stress hermies that only go hermie if stressed out.

Now back when I grew my first plant, if you planted a half dozen seeds, you could expect at least half of your females to be hermies! Although the Mexican growers would cull out the males, they left the hermies and saw nothing wrong with lots of seeds to make their kilos heavier! :coolalt: So in the 60s and 70s, they were basically breeding for hermies! :eek2:

The good news is that we have been breeding out those genetic hermie genes for decades, so they are less common now. I think the "stress hermies" will always be with us because most growers try not to stress their plants and the genes get passed on, hidden by good growing practices.

I have grown in my "very well-lit" closet in the den for 2 decades. During the time I lived in the den (2010 - 2019 - my late husband refused to use his C-pap machine and I needed to sleep!), I grew with the closet door open about 6 inches, day and night. There was a lamp about 5 feet from the door that would shine right into it. During those years, I had just 5 hermies total, and I think I may have just kept most of them virgin for too long- there were only a few male flowers on 4 of the 5.

Now maybe the Ganja Goddess just loves me or something,:confused_2: but if light is actually a major cause of hermies, I think I would have gotten a few more during those years due to the open door! I grow mostly bag seed, so the genetics are pretty random, aside from coming from a "decent" mother. :smoke: (I am rarely disappointed with the results. Plants grown with love are usually better than those grown "commercially")

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 old shol4evr, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thanks for the great advice !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  7. autos.
    Second option. Card board boxes some duct tape . cover the entire ac 100 percent .
    But the box will fit the ac pull the box away from the ac .
    Poke some holes and put in that flex cooling tube move the tubes to the other side of the room.
    You may be required to also tape the tubing so the light will not leak through depending on what kind your using .
    use this .https://www.grainger.com/product/3F...kwcid=AL!2966!3!264955916045!!!g!436862786866!
    so poke a hole in that card board box poke this inside .