Wilting Seedlings? Help please!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MissMMonroe, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Hi all,

I’m growing organically, in pots on the windowsill atm rotating the pots so they get even coverage of sun and a straight stem, but they will be going outside when big enough and strong enough (and when it’s warm enough)

This is my first grow. My seedlings are 2 weeks old and seemed to be doing well, however the last 3 days, the 2 big cana-leaves have either been wilting/drooping OR doing the opposite and lifting up (think Y type appearance) I’ve been conscious to not over-water them so I thought maybe they weren’t getting enough water. I gave them some more and they seemed to perk up and go back to sticking out horizontally :) But then the next morning I come downstairs and the same thing happened again! What could be causing this? They are in Westlands magic jack soil (highly recommended by the 420 community) with a mix of perlite for air and drainage. The room is well ventilated - next to the kitchen and the kitchen door is open quite a bit. They are warm in the sun.

They are both “normal” and auto-flowering. Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Many thanks!

2. #3 Smokey B McBongwater, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    pics would help....

also, I'm fairly new also, only a few grows, there are LOTS more experienced people that will chime in, but from what I've seen perhaps I can offer a few things.

the fact you see them perk up when you watered them is pretty much a good indication right there. :)
    what kind and size containers are they in? you should be able to generally tell when toy water or not by the weight of the container. when it's really light it needs water!! when it's heavy you know it doesn't. but you need to know the weight of whatever your container is when it's dry so you have the comparison to go by. it's the easiest and most common way.
    Also, if they are showing wilting from lack of water the next morning already perhaps you aren't giving them enough on each watering? by 2 weeks their roots should be spreading pretty good already and they are getting a lot more thirsty than they were even just a week ago. Sometimes in the quest to not overwater we make the opposite mistake. just guessing since we have no pics... :)
    if your girls are looking a bit droopy in the early mornings or at night than pick up again on their own, I've observed on both my mj med plants and my indoor garden veggie plants thats many exhibit leaf droop as I'll call it at night, almost like it's asleep, which during dark hours it kinda is. when it sees light again in the morning it perks up.
    I'm generally up around 3-4am so I see this a lot in my plants and watch the transition happen from when most of the lights are off than they come on and I watch the plants change. it's cool as hell
    don't get it as much in my med tent which are all autos and stays lights on 24/0.
    another possibility... with the sun gone in your window at night, how is the temperature for the little girls? young seedlings don't like chill very much. if your window spot loses too much heat when the sun is gone it could be a factor.

sorry, too many unknowns at this point, but perhaps some of this might help as you evaluate the issue. others chime in soon. good luck!! :)

BTW, when the leaves are pointing upwards like praying hands... thats a sign of a very happy plant!

3. I'm with Smokey, I bet they get cold at night. If they are going outside, this is probably good for them. Set them away from the window in a nice warm spot overnight and see if they do the same thing.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  4. I may have gotten something right??!! LOL
    throw enough darts or spray enough bullets you're sure to eventually hit something! :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Smokey, you have learned a lot, some of it the hard way, but are now applying that knowledge to help others, which is what its all about. Its one thing to read about relationships and how things work, something else to live that experience and apply it! Keep it up!
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. it seems at most lessons you learn effectively, are the ones you learn the hard way.....

but yes, as I learn and am more confident that if I can pass on info that I know is correct I can help someone I'm glad to do it. I came / come on here needing information to help me, and if I can return the favor to the forum I'm glad to help someone just as i was helped :)
    That's what makes these forums work! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Thank you everyone! Sorry for the late reply - my phone died! I will get some pix later. I haven’t been putting them outside yet because it’s been far too cold. I’m not sure of the temperature, I live in a very old cold house naturally so even with the heating on they won’t get too warm...but I have been leaving them on the windowsill to ensure warmth and sunlight throughout the day. It’s s tough one not knowing if it’s over or under watering!? Lol only two of the original large leaves are wilted and curled under on the plants, the new ones seem ok? I’m so worried about root rot or fungus or bugs! Didn’t think it would be this stressful! Can’t wait for my harvest lol Ok I’ll go get a pic now hang on xxx :)

8. Here they are - the wilting has improved a wee bit but I’m not sure if that’s because I laid off the watering? Also they are 3 weeks old today - when would be a good time to transport them to a bigger pot? Don’t want to stunt their growth but don’t want to traumatise them either! Thank you all so much for being so helpful - much love! <3

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. they look fine. a little stretchy but with the lighting your using - window only, it's to be expected, but not too bad!
    as for the watering, they are nice small pots so should be easy to determine watering. they will be very lightweight when dry - so water. if they are heavy when you pick them up they have water and don't need anymore. :)
    or stick your finger in the soil - it's it feels dry an inch or two down from the surface, add some water

• Like Like x 1
  10. They look fine. The most common mistake at this stage is overwatering, it is also the most harmful and can potentially cause long term damage while if a plant goes dry from underwatering it doesn't really do any long term damage and can be quickly recovered from. So my rule of thumb is if you are unsure whether the plant is in need of water just wait another day. Also, get into the habit of lifting your pots to be able to tell by weight how much water is in the soil.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I put a small bit of gravel in the bottom of the pots to help with drainage so they always feel heavy. Because of this I dip my finger in the soil. It’s mostly just lightly damp so maybe I should let it get near enough dry throughout before the next water?
    (Yes I know not having a lighting system isn’t really ideal but I’m all for growing organically and saving the planet...if they could grow it this way back in the day without all the fancy gear then I should be able to too, right!? Lol)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Before u go to far mix in the Rock phosphate into your next repot put rice hulls at the bottom of the pots .. rice hulls a great way to feed the plant water and retains moisture also top dress the pots to lock in moisture and help with heat and pests. The rock phosphate will help against Cal- mag deficiency do to bad water and week soil plants love this stuff. Also get RO water u will see great things ..good luck IMG_20190427_101126403.jpg IMG_20190427_101147678.jpg 1556386436060.jpg 1556386455940.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. Plants look great but being autos they will not yield you much bud. Autos really need a minimum of 18 hrs light and most people give them 20 hrs.

14. How much of the rock phosphate do you mix into your soil?
    Ratio wise?
    I am a grow newbie and absolutely love this forum. So so much information and from the looks of it many many great members who are willing to share their knowledge and help a fellow brother out.

-J

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Look at the pick 1/4 cup per gallon potted.it was under $10 .. also get a book called TLO.. true living organics I'm not trying to sell the book or anything but it has good information not too overwhelming put you on our way to a healthy harvest

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lol didnt even notice that in the pic.
    Definitely going to check out that book for sure. Thanks broski

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

17. I download of the book off of Amazon for cheaper than the book

18. depends on what you want to consider "not much bud". My first auto grow I I grew there plants, all different strains. All yielded between 5 1/2 to 6 oz each. I was just shy of 18 oz total between the three.
    I know on photos people can get a pound, maybe more, but the longest of the three only took 77 days from the day the seed popped. I'm drying, curing, and smoking my meds before a photo plant is even harvested. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yeah but did you grow those in a window or in a tent with 18+ hours of light?