Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Will weed kill my gramps?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by imh1m4n, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

basically I really want to smoke up my gramps, he is the coolest guy ever lol but he has angina, I don't even know what it is exactly, something to do with his heart and the blockage of veins and obviously weed makes your heart race and I 100% never ever want to give him a heart attack or kill him lol. I guess the general question is, Is cannabis safe for people with heart disease?

Thanks in advance and please no silly or stupid answers.

2. Angina is another word for heart pain, the cause of which can be a huge variety of things. I wouldn't risk it. He's old and he has heart problems, weed probably isn't the best choice.

3. Yeh it's what I was thinking but he would be so cool high. Oh well :(

4. If you're going to give him one of those "spliff" thingies, then consider if he is a regular consumer of tobacco? If not, the tobacco could cause serious problems such as increased blood pressure and blood clotting tendencies

5. its not up to you to get him high.

offer it, if he says no, continue.

if he says yes, tell him the deal.

i dont think he would die, as he would be like #1 on the deaths from maryjane

6. Lol, I have already spoken to him about it and he wants to and as I was passing him the spliff I thought about it and told him I would find out, obviously I'm not gonna force him :) And true but I don't think it would be good for his health :s

7. Why would you pass him a spliff? :p
    Tobacco kills. Let him smoke something cleaner? so his lungs wont die.

8. I'd say if you want to get him high and he wants to get high, go for edibles. Smoking in general is not a great choice for lung and heart health, even when it's weed.

9. It had barely any baccy in like 5% of the spliff was baccy and cos I find it burns better, I didn't have my pipe with me and were in Europe! Lol

10. True but eating edibles will still make his heart beat fast? That's what I'm worried about most. He is 79 btw and still goes to the gym once a week, gets around a lot and travels a fair bit. He is definitely great for his age but he still has this heart problem.

11. #11 Thomas Kane, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
    Just make him some less-than-potent edibles. A small amount of THC in his system shouldn't hurt, but it's always best to be safe I suppose.

Edit: Ah, didn't see your post.

12. If he is a non smoker with heart disease, even a small amount of tobacco could be dangerous.

13. He is a non-smoker but smoked cigars for 15 years, don't know if that makes a difference but he didn't smoke it anyway, I might make him some brownies then. Thanks guys.

14. Well, it might make him feel uncomfortable but you know...weed never HAS killed anyone. That's pretty strong evidence that making some brownies probably won't fuck any shit up too badly.

15. i doubt there is any serious risk, if there was, then everyone here would know not to smoke with similar heart conditions, and since i haven't ever heard anyone mention anything like that, it would lead me to believe that there's probably not much risk.

16. Just two facts

1. Tobacco kills people every hour, just by using it
    2. MJ has never killed a 'user', in over 10,000 years of human history

If he wants to try it, one tiny puff, a small portion of an edible as others suggested..let him see how it effects him

as others said, it has to be his choice, never sneak any drug 'into' peoples bodies...

17. also you might want to check out granny storm crow's list, its stickied in this forum. there is an entire section devoted to heart disease and you can probably find a lot of relevant info in there.

18. #19 benthamj49, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
    It's not the pot that would kill him it would be complications from smoking pot. This is the same way liver failure could kill someone who drinks alcohol, but the alcohol isn't what physically killed them (it just contributed). The "pot has never killed anyone" statistics really just mean that no one has died from a pot overdose.

19. THC and cannabinoids dont kill, but that doesnt mean smoke wont. maybe get a vaporizer, and u can smoke with him