Will weed be legal in The UK soon?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by NeverMind94, Mar 14, 2013.

1. I'm so jealous of you Americans being right around the corner!!

Sent from above

2. In my opinion... ummm no not really. Btw dont say Americans, say USA, its big difference.

3. When it falls in America it won't be long

4. Theres big difference between USA and UK. From political to society. And once more USA isnt America. Sorry for bad English, I am not from english speaking country.

5. The united states is the driver in the drug war. The US is the reason why Canada and the southern American nations haven't followed through with their goals of decriminalizing or legalizing. If another country has plans to do this we vow to cut off aid. When the US legalizes Cannabis and things go great Europe will go right in that direction.

6. I though that in few places in Canada and Australia it have been decriminalized already before USA. In my opinion Europe is far, far away from legalizing or even decriminalizing weed in whole Europe.

7. #7 Kradiant, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013

Well, we have Holland. Plus all drugs have been decriminalised in Portugal. I'll agree though that the stigma attached to drugs in most of mainland Europe makes overturning prohibition very difficult.

*edit - to clarify, although it's probably bad wording on your part, European law is not uniform. We are not one country, even if we are bound in economics and humanitarianism by the European Union. Saying 'Europe is far, far away from legalizing or even decriminalizing weed in whole Europe." doesn't really mean anything. 'The Americas' are equally a long, long way from decriminalising weed. I make this point because you made the same one at the top of the thread about USA and America.

It doesn't help here in the UK that we have a ConDem/n coalition government fucking up social programs and basic shit like education and healthcare as it is. Pro-Cannabis scientific reports and pro-legalisation information is slowly creeping into mainstream media (well, the left-mainstream media), but the government flat out refuses to accept it and maintains there is both no medical use or any grounds to regulate it - or even decrim. I doubt a Labour government would do any different either. They are still banking on the residual feeling from older generation that pot is bad, but even that is beginning to change.
    When the USA legalises that will be a huge step, giving us a basic precedent to argue from. The thought of seeing a dispensary or coffee shop in the UK now just seems absurd, we're not close yet.

8. While i agree that the politicians are far away from change (mainly due to their Etonian background) the average people in the uk are becoming more accepting of cannabis. The coppers dont bother you except to ask you put it out and more and more people I know and happen to run into are either smoking themselves or much more accepting of it. All we need now i enough of us to start a pressure group and eventually their political self interest will force them to at least hold a referendum.

9. Funny... More Country's in Europe have legalised than the few states in America.

Ireland this year, Spain, turkey, czheck however you spell it. Few more can't remember the rest but the point is yeah we're on the right tracks, it will be legal in the UK remember it was Gordon brown who moved it to a B from a C, mp's have agreed that it was better as a C cos of less money being spent putting us behind bars. over 50% of the country and mp's want it legalised. It will be, it just will be. It's pointless listening to advice from an American man, high hopes and lets follow suit of the rest of Europe. It won't be long.

10. We call ourselves "American" because we are the most important country on both continents - yes we are arrogant.:D

11. Things are movin in the right direction so its only a good sign.... How long it will take to happen?? No one knows but it'll happen sooner than a lot of people think if yu ask me

12. The weird thing is, although many of the states in AMERICA have more liberal laws concerning cannabis than the UK, you can still not legally import cannabis seeds into the USA due to federal prohibition. Our government prosecuted Marc Emery for selling seeds from Canada as if he was Pablo Escobar. At least the UK is sensible in this regard. Good luck over yonder.

13. All we need is a prime minister who is actually in touch with our country. David Cameron is shit clueless when it comes to stuff like this, hes totally out of touch. He doesn't wanna legalise it and piss the small majority or the country off who don't want it legalised. Our country's always been about the minorities... He dismisses any conversation regarding weed. But pre election was a totally different guy he was quite open to the idea of research and listening to people who have knowledge of benefits and economy boost, tourism that it could bring.
    It's just a matter of time, it will happen.

He didn't have no clue about pasties man but he was so scared to upset us northerners that he made up having a pastie in Leeds... It was bollocks he's never had a fucking pastie he was just too scared to upset anyone.

Keep yer chins up. It'll happen.
    It'll knock him on the head one day. And with all these mp's in favour... It's just a matter of time.

14. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is simply not true.

It's still completely illegal in Ireland, I don't know where you got the idea that it isn't from. Weed is actually famously illegal in Ireland, they are only just now starting to talk about allowing it for special medical cases.

In Spain, growing weed and consuming it in private is still completely illegal, as is buying or selling it. The only thing that has changed there is that it has been decriminalised if you are found in possession of it in public. You just get a fine.

Also 100% illegal in Turkey. Pretty serious sentences if you get caught with it over there.

Czech Republic is an interesting one. It's becoming more and more like Holland in the last 2 years. Weed is technically still illegal there, although decriminalised. You can possess up to 15g and they will only confiscate it and give you a misdemeanor. Sale is totally illegal, so nowhere to legally buy it.

I should make this point now, weed is not legal anywhere in Europe. Only a few select countries are starting to decriminalise it - even in the Netherlands it is technically not legal.

-

Secondly, your statistics about MPs and Citizens in the UK are muddled. In an independent poll at the end of last year, something like 67% of UK citizens said they would like a review of weed policy, with 53% saying they would like to see it regulated. This is good, it means attitudes are changing.
    However, saying that over 50% of MPs want it legalised is a dangerous lie - almost every single Labour and Tory MP is against legalisation, and as you should know they effectively constitute the entire of UK governance. The change will happen, I am sure of it, but it will take a long time. Especially considering that the USA's first anti-prohibition bill is only just being introduced now and will not be finally decided upon until 2015. I'd say that in the UK we are looking at least at another 8-10 years.

While I'm here, if you are the USA, please please check out the H.R. 499 bill that was introduced in February. Call your representatives, get in touch with statesmen, 1 phone call is worth 1000 voices (literally, that's how it's measured). This is the first step to a fully regulated Cannabis market.

15. Ok. Where do you live?

16. Repping for UK :wave:

17. The point I was trying to put across, in fact it don't matter :D

You obviously know more about USA and European politics, and laws in other country's than I or anyone else does. Have fun, enjoy yourself.

18. #18 Malvolio, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
    Hey brah.

Although everything you've said is right, it's impossible to estimate the level of support among MPs. A lot of MPs will be anti-legalisation simply because they have to toe the party line and out of fear of being slaughtered by the media (the Daily Mail in particular). Some of the more traditional back-bench members of the Conservative party (most members of the 1922 committee) actually support legalisation out of Libertarian tendencies.

However, the problem remains that politicians fear that they will look "soft on crime" if they support drug policy reform, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are anti-reform.

Everything he said was correct

19. I don't claim to know a lot. I read off the CLEAR website quite often actually, I know full we'll I read czheck were legalising, might have been Portugal? Not turkey... I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm not saying I'm right. I was just saying what I read.

20. Yeh CLEAR is a great website. The Czech government is moving towards legalisation right now however they are running into a lot of problems with UN drugs treaties. In terms of Portugal, they decriminalised all drugs in order to handle their serious Heroin problem. I believe that their policy is similar to California weed laws, but on all drugs instead.