Will this turn my plants purple

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by POWskier, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 POWskier, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
    I have some plants that have turned just a bit purple due to their genes. My thought is during the last hours of this plants life I am going to place it out side. Right now it is 28*F and I have placed bags over them. Tonight they are to be cut and hung.

2. SMH... freezing is 32f... guess what it would do...

3. #3 POWskier, Feb 5, 2014
    Turn them purple as FUCK, Maybe even red. Red bud would be so interesting.

4. ...kill them. It would kill them. The freezing would cause all cells to rupture due to water expanding as it freezes.

5. tell us how it turns out lol

6. #6 squidrick420, Feb 5, 2014
    Man I gotta say, it will turn them purple but not in the good way.
    People around here do this as a means to increase profit by calling the weed 'purp' even though it is just a temperature induced color change. In reality your taking a strain out of its comfort zone and essentially killing it slowly. Purple strains developed because of cold climates, but that took plant evolution over generations to mutate to that level, your strain just isn't supposed to be purple; when a non purple genetic turns purple from temperature it is going into survival mode. 

If you want purple buds get some purple genetics and you won't have to do a thing to get wild colors.

Edit: Just noticed you said the purple genes thing. Anyways, just let them do their thing, color emerges late into flowering sometimes. Sorry about the stoned confusion

7. #7 POWskier, Feb 5, 2014
    The nugs are already purple a little bit and I did nothing to the temps. I want them to be more purple. Dropping temps in the night for the last few days isn't bad when your bud has sugar leaves that are completely frosted in trichomes. Of course what I am doing is extreme but I want to see what happens. I have heard of people growing out side and they are hit with a frost and pull through it no problem.

Weed isn't a little baby. Your dumb and lazy if your bud doesn't turn out dank. Plus purp has so much bag appeal. I know there is nothing special about purp but I still like to look at it.

8. #8 Serapsis, Feb 5, 2014
    know what happens when you freeze bud? all the keif comes off.
    not to mention its not cured and still has moisture that will fuck up if it freezes

9. yeah thats why you protect your crop and cover it up. Farmers do this all the time. Marijuana isn't a pussy bitch, it can grow out in the cold for a couple hours. I have friends in california that grow outdoors and they have had plants go through cold weather towards the end and the bud was just fine.

10. Yeah like I said I didn't notice you mentioned the genetics at first, my bad there. But yeah if your going for bag appeal it will work but the only concern I really have is the temps going so low that the THC is impacted.. As long as they don't go for too long and there is no major weather like high winds or freezing rain your good. Purple genetics are meant for this kind of abuse, that is in part how they originated in the first place.

11. [quote name="POWskier" post="19467623" timestamp="1391573247"]yeah thats why you protect your crop and cover it up. Farmers do this all the time. Marijuana isn't a pussy bitch, it can grow out in the cold for a couple hours. I have friends in california that grow outdoors and they have had plants go through cold weather towards the end and the bud was just fine.[/quote]Hey ahh why the fuck you ask a question if you already have an answer?Kottonmouth Kings

12. Cold weather and freezing temps are vastly different. Temps drop down to high 50s will pull out more purple. But putting it out in the freezing cold will just develope frost, freeze and start to die or hermie. Seems absolutely pointless to me. Purple is really just for bag appeal in my book so why risk all your work to try and make them look prettier? Your gonna smoke it anyways.

13. All my pistils are pink everysingle one of the hot pink .. been that way since the first hair popped out.. my temps get to 60- 50 at night .... I gotta bag seed so not sure of genetics

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. any picture? Would like to see

15. /confused

16. #16 lilredrice, Feb 5, 2014
    lol nvm thought you were op

17. show some pictures.

18. #18 POWskier, Feb 5, 2014
    I didn't freeze any buds and they still look soo chronic. I didn't leave them out over night. If you do this you have to protect your plants. My opinion is the last day isn't going to impact the weed so much since its pretty much done doing its thing. Stressing the plants through growth is another thing and that will affect the buds, but after the nug has reached maturity the quality of the buds wont be affected as much.

19. I have some cherry pie outside right now the temp is around 50 to 60f at night. Dose yours slow down the budding when its cold?

20. I think that tempratures under 60-65 will slow budding to an extent atleast from what people have told me and I have read. I just tend to keep my temps at 65-75 in the grow room until the last couple days of the plants life I drop the night temperature when I have the purple genetics.

However I have seen buds grown in washington state outdoors and the summer temps at night run from 60- mid 50's and I have still seen great bud grown. I would say not to worry about it much especially if its only a couple nights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.