Will this soil work?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by TwistedPuppy, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Found some cheap brand bedding soil. Doesn't have much info about the soil on the bag other than it should be mixed 1:1 with black earth topsoil and is high in humus. Says the soil is good for shrubs, bushes, strawberries, all that good stuff. Well anyway I couldn't find the other soil to mix with it so I'm wondering should this soil be ok if I mix it with some cow manure and worms castings?

2. for a big plant yes but add perlite
    for seedlings just peat perlite castings no other ferts (no topsoil)

3. [quote name='"Corto Malteze"']for a big plant yes but add perlite
    for seedlings just peat perlite castings no other ferts (no topsoil)[/quote]

Quick question (no thread jack)

What's the difference between perlite and vermiculite? As ive seen, people use them together saying either add perlite or vermiculite, as if they do the same thing.

4. they're about the same, basically expanded lava rock or something like that to give air to the soil. They don't hold water much but the peat or coco does I think.

5. How much perlite would I want? 2x2x2 ft holes btw

6. 30% of the total volume

7. My math could be wrong but 2x2x2 ft holes are 220 liters, which means ~70 liters of perlite. Looked up some perlite on local gardening centers and all I see are 9 liter bags for like $8. That seems pretty costly to go 30% :(

8. yeah I know it's outrageous ly expensive in garden centers
    I buy mine for super cheap at construction shops (like home depot), it is sold in huge bags for isolation and other construction jobs. Just call them up and ask if they got any and how much , it should be very cheap.