Will this fluorescent light work for seedlings? :)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Fresh Bud, Mar 25, 2013.

1. #1 Fresh Bud, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  2. Can you put them in the windowsill? If not I think you would be ok seedlings dont seem to need very much light early on although they stretch if the light is not ideal, get the plants as close as you can while you can. Best of wishes

3. I second Apprenticespong about seedlings not needing much light. I had three seedlings do just fine for several weeks on just a grow light that had 2 x 14W Daylight florescent tubes on it. Just keep the light as close as you can without putting too much heat on the plants. Do you know the color of the bulb?

4. It looks white.

5. With lights, white is a bit too general. :) If it's a work light, then it's likely going to be a Soft White around 2700K. This is more red/orange light, which is better for the flowering stage. Daylight bulbs are around 6500K, and are a more blue light, which is better for the vegetative stage. If you were looking at these lights by themselves, they would all appear white to your eyes as your brain would color adjust for the light.

Since you're just using it short term before putting it outside, it probably doesn't matter much anyway, but you may want to supplement with some Daylight CFLs if it appears that your plants are starting to stretch too much to get light.