Will this 1000w LED do what I need?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Four_Hundred_Twenty, Nov 4, 2016.

1. IMG_6944.JPG
    Hi all, I'm looking at this LED light (info below) that I can get brand new in the box for $175.00 but I don't know much about them. Here's my current setup:

10'x10' room, 7' ceiling, drywalled painted white, white ceiling and floor, 400w MH. Maximum of 4 pots at one time so things are manageable, I grow for my wife and I.

So:
    1) Will this work from seedling through flower?
    2) Would this be brighter than my current 400w MH?
    3) When raised to 7' what kind of light footprint will it throw (on average)?

I understand you guys probably can't give me exact answers, but I just want to know if I'm headed in the right direction, LOL. Thanks for any help.

Apollo Horticulture 1000w LED
    Full specturm led grow lights, the color ratio is same wavelength to the sunlight, including red, lunar blue, IR and UV. Infrared can promote stem elongation and seed germination, increase yield in a certain degree.Ultraviolet can kill bacteria and reduce the plant disease and molds.
    Energy Star, High brightness and Long lifespan.

Ideal for all phases of plant growth, can be used in house garden, pot culture, garden, sowing, breeding, farm, flower exhibition, bonsai, garden, green house, sowing,breeding, farm, greenhouse cultivation, water soluble breeding, greenhouse cultivation, pipeline cultivation and so on.

2. To answer your question yes that light should work out for you with comparable if not better results then 1- 400 watt metal halide light will do. I use similar size led panels except I have higher end panels and I use 1 panel to do 6 plants in a 5×5×7 grow tent a 4×4×7 grow tent would prob work better as the walls would reflect more of the light. With a 400 watt metal halide I wouldn't cover much more area then 5×5 again a 4×4 foot print would do way better.
    The price for that led is very very cheap so I would guess that it is built with low quality parts. Even if you managed to get 1 harvest from it it would be well worth the money imo. I wouldn't count on it lasting much longer then that but I could be wrong. I use a Kind k5 xl750 in a 3×3×7, then I have a Kind k5 xl1000 in 5×5×7 tent. Then in another 5×5×7 tent I'm running an Amare pro7 cob panel, and in my last tent which is a 4×4×7 I am running a Amare 350 uvb

sent from my garden

3. That light is a joke, it says it's rated for 1000w but only runs at 135w.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. That's not a 1000 true watts. It's usually less than half of what it says I have a Mars ll 1600 and I only gives me 749 true draw if that! That light is from Apollo because I hear their LEDs aren't that bad. When I was looking to buy one I thought there were more expensive than $175 is it off of a friend or someone you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. If you have a 10x10 room your going to need a lot of light. You would probably do better breaking it up into two rooms a veg room and a flower room. You're looking at a couple thousand watts of high pressure sodium in a 10x10 IMO
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. It's from a friend yes.

7. #7 Four_Hundred_Twenty, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Would anyone else care to elaborate on this comment? I was always under the assumption that the 1000 W designation meant that it was an equivalent light source to a 1000 W bulb, not electrical output. Is that not the case?

8. I wouldn't get that light if you are aiming for 1000w equivalent. Leds light penetration isn't that great. If you are set on leds for that big of space get more than one unit so you can position lights. That 1000w led light do well with a 4x4 grow area.
    Cheap/budget LEDs from friend no warranty doesn't sound like a safe investment.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

9. #9 Four_Hundred_Twenty, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Thanks, appreciate the input! It's new in the box but yes no warranty.

10. Would it benefit me to use this in conjunction with my 400MH?

11. Not trying to unsell you on LEDs i use 4x300w mars because my electricity bill is 1/4 th of what it was and less heat than 600 mh or hps . I just had to get four to get optimal positioning and light coverage vs a single 1000w unit and +200w. Also figured i wouldn't have to send in my only light source of one burned out

12. Yeah i had one grow that i supplemented the 600 MH with two LEDs and the plants that had both light spectrums grew fatter, flowered instantly when i added LEDs was still on 16/8 and stickier final productJust didn't feel like it was worth the extra cost of having both running and it was difficult to positon because the leds were significsntly lower than MH

13. OK then you brought up some good points. But let me ask you this, the light by itself, essentially new except for the warranty, for $175. Is it a good buy or a bad buy. I could always just save it until I can swing a couple more right?

14. Its not a bad buy but in my opinion not worth it yet. Adding 1 1000w LED to your grow doesn't seem worth it unless you are trying to save on the electricity bill or heat issues. If you want it as supplemtal light or to improve bud quality then yes it will help but not sure by how much.

Are you unhappy with the MH results?

15. 400w is not really enough. I can get a 1000w HPS ballast/hood/bulb new with warranty at my local shop for $200 out the door so that's probably how I'll go. Thanks for your time and advice.

16. It's not a horrible buy but you could buy a nice 600 watt hps kit with a vented hood and hanger for that price. That can make 1 pound a crop if grown well. Instead you have a 135 actual watt light that is only capable of veg or budding one plant for probably 2-3oz max. The deceptive marketing that made you think that was a 1000 watt light pisses me off. People don't like being fooled. I don't see how that's a good move as a company.

I get the idea of saving on electric bill but it sucks when you buy a cheap led to save money on electric. Yes you do save on electric but you use that money you saved to buy more weed because your crop is so much smaller. =)

There's no substitute for actual watts led or otherwise. LED's aren't really magic enough to grow more bud with half the power of hps especially in flower. They're a little more efficient but they're not quite there. If prices drop, power output goes up, and designs change to make them modular like hps when if something fails that part can be replaced easily then led's will take more market share commercially.

I don't agree with this article 100% but I do 90-95%. There's many problems with LED's still. 5 Barriers to LED Grow Light Domination - HPS vs LED Grow Lights | Grow Weed Easy

17. Well duh you cant expect the same output with half 1/4th of the draw. There was definitely more of a learning curve with LEDs. Also the wattage on LEDs advertised is usually a verry generous equivalent to MH or HPS. I do hate the marketing and all the LED knock offs ,rebranding and knocknoff of knockkoffs.

LEDs deffinately grow differently it hard to match the 2lb crop pulled in from MH and LED grow . Ive had to switch lighting to shorter veg longer flower to get comparable rates.

I grow coral with LEDs too and im still 50/50 on replacing MH with LEDs. Its output is just there is no guessing and dealing with purple lights. Just deal with heat and higher draw.

18. Lumens per watt CMH lights actually beat HPS. That's the only type of light I know of that can and it's barely. The main problem with them currently is the cost. CMH lights have a much better spectrum and one of the coolest benefits is they make a significant amount of UVB light if you remove the glass from the reflector. This really enhances potency noticeably. That's what I've seen with my LED buds as well. CMH mix the good spectrum of LED's with the badass lumen output of HPS.

I wish I would have spent a year researching lights before I pulled the trigger but I jumped on the LED train as well. I'm making plenty of bud for myself without huge electric costs so I guess I'm successful. I'm still tweaking my setup to get some good yield out of these things. It seems to be a challenge. I'm hoping my new strains which are supposed to be big producers will help me with that.

19. #19 killset, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    1000 watt is not the equivelancy of the light. it has to do with how many watts the diodes can handle at max. However they are ran at less so the diodes last longer. if it runs at 135 watts then it's a 135 watt light and will never come close to 1000 watt hid.....not even in the same ballpark. it's a very small led light and an advertising gimmick.

20. #20 Tbone Shuffle, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    I've crammed 770 watts of platinum LED in my 4x4 bud tent. I keep temps nice. 77 average. There's $1500 worth of lights in there. The lights are rated for much more space than this. I was hoping doing this would blow me away with output. So far, not so much. It's good and it's stony but there's not massive quantities. I'm hoping it's my strain. I have 2 known good producers in the veg tent looking to try it out but I'm getting depressed about LED's and how much money I've spent for the output. My buddy is running $200 1000 watt hps and smashing me in yield.

I have to admit though my bud is better because of the UV I think and the better spectrum. It's so freakin crystally. I had multiple people that are extreme lifelong potheads tell me it's the best bud they've smoked in years. I was kinda jaw dropped to hear that but this LED bud is full of glands. I'd like to get my stuff tested. There's only a few labs even up yet in Alaska. People are dragging their feet up here like usual.