Will they get taller?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Newxgrower, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Hi, I'm very new to this. I currently have 2 clones (Skywalker og and girl scout cookies) and 2 white widow big bud that I started from seed. This is only my second grow and I crash and burned on the first one. I was just messing around with topping and fimming so my widows got really bushy. My question is now, if I leave them alone and do not touch them for a few weeks will they continue to grow taller and stay bushy or will they stay short and kinda just bush outwards. They are under a 600w MH. Any advise would be helpful.

Oh, also, at what height should I stick them into 12/12?

Attached Files:

2. They will do both, grow upwards, and sideways. Generally you want them to bush out so the area is filled and about half of your available height taken up before flowering

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Flip when plants are 1/3-1/2 your grow size. Plants double to triple in size during flower.

Example a plant flowered at 2 feet could end up being 4-5 feet tall.

And yes even with tipping plants will continue to grow up and bushy. I'm battle a height issue with on of my plants now. I have topped it twice and supper cropped it to keep it low and it's still my tallest plant

4. Great, thank you. So, if I leave the ladies alone they will continue to fill themselves out from here?

My tent is 4x4x6.5 feet. I was thinking maybe another 3 weeks to a month? But again, I'm new to this and have no idea what they are capable of in that timeframe.

5. How long it takes to fill up really depends on how good the conditions are, and this varies a lot between growers. But 4 plants to fill a 4'x4' area taking 3 weeks is pretty conservative, I don't see you having trouble doing that

You may want to top a couple more times or do some LST in the next couple of weeks to help fill out the area

• Like Like x 1
  6. You started them out in way too big a pot. They do better and grow foliage faster if you start them out as seedlings in Solo cups. When the plant itself gets taller and wider than the cup (and is healthy), this is a good sign that the plant is slightly root bound at this point (which is exactly what you want right before a repot) and it's time to go up one size in containers. By confining the amount of space the plant must root into (the first thing they do after a transplant), it doesn't take the plant as long as it would if you had it in a huge pot like the ones you're using here for the larger plants, and gets back to growing the foliage. The foliage just sits there and waits while the plant is forming it's root system, so the larger area it has to work on, the longer it's going to take it. And yes, they will get taller. We grow WW pretty hot and heavy here and that is just one of the genetic traits of the plant...they grow tall and aren't as bushy as some other strains. You've topped them enough to have several bud sites going now, so just leave them alone, give them good soil and good pH'd water (range of 6.3 to 6.7 with soil) and put them back under the lights and let them grow. As far as when to put them into flower, it's all about what you're wanting. The plant will double or triple in size/height when it goes into flower, so whatever your space can handle is how you'll have to judge them by. Just keep in mind that the larger the plant is when it goes into the flower cycle, the bigger it will grow and the larger the harvest you will reap IF......you have enough flower lighting for it. You shoot yourself in the foot by overcrowding your lamps with plants. They can only cover so many square feet properly and putting too many plants under one lamp just causes a bunch of shading to happen all plants suffer to some degree because of it. You will harvest more off one plant that has a super great environment with lots of room and strong light, than you can by stuffing 4 into that same area. More and bigger is not always better. I am assuming you have a dual bulb with your light since you'll have to switch lighting for flower, but growing 4 plants under that one light can be done, but you'll have to rotate them regularly to make sure light is reaching all sides of the plant. We grow with 1000 watt hps lamps....using 4 per room right now. Over time, the max I can flower off under one of those bulbs is about 5...maybe 6, and that's pushing it. Without strong enough lighting in flower, the light will only penetrate 8-10 inches below the canopy...thus, anything below that is not going to get proper flower lighting. I generally trim up everything below 10" or so below the canopy so all the energy will g to producing and enlarging the tops of my plants.

Get on the new grower threads here and read. There are many posts that are especially for the new grower and contain all the basic information you need to know and should've gotten BEFORE planting seeds. People will spend months and months figuring out the grow setup they plan to use, but put little time in actually learning how to grow these plants properly. The more you know, the less plants you kill and failed grow attempts you have. If you don't have the basics under your belt, you're going to be on here regularly asking questions about this and that. Information is definitely your friend when starting out, so go read up and get all of it you can right now before you go any further into the growing process. TWW

7. This isn't a big issue or anything, but the steel poles aren't supposed to be inside the waterproof tray. They may rust in there, the tray should be put inside the tent after its been fully erected

8. Do you want them to be taller? Or bush out? Because the more you top and the more you fim the more they bush out.... what I do is I top the main shoot at about 4 weeks no matter what, and from there let the two new growths veg out for another 2 weeks or so, from there I'll top the lower canopies so it'll branch out more after I've reached the desired height, from there lst is great to maintain height. 1460057585131.jpg

This is what I do prior to the lower canopies, this is 2 weeks after topping the original shoot.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. That is a gg #4 BTW so it does have some sativa genetics so it would be a little taller anyways

• Like Like x 1
  10. Also agree with The White Widow, if you let the initial root ball form in a smaller space, and then transplant into there final medium, it doesn't seem to take as long

11. Oh very nice. Yes, I want them to get a bit taller and bush out more. I'm very new to this but a Buffy was telling me that any big bud has to have real solid branches to hold the bud. That's what I was going for but now they are very thick so I want it to get bushier and taller so I can get ready to flower hopefully in 2-3 weeks?

12. Depends on certain conditions, have you tried lst? And have how many nodes have you topped?

13. Can you post an updated pic?

14. And just so you know gsc has the tendency to be a branchy motherfucker. Lanky. It's because of the Asian sativa in the cross. So that one will naturally be spaced and tall. Your widows look really heavy on the big bud genes though... that being said it might be a smaller bushier plant.

15. I will update a pic soon, my buddy told me to clip the shade leaves so they are looking a little touched right now. The clones came topped and then I topped them again 2x. The ww bb I topped as soon as I could and have topped it several times since. I was told that if I clip the shade leaves every 10-12 days for a month then let it grow for 10 more days then switch to 12/12 I should be in a good spot with them. I was going to LST them but on all of them the branches are real thick and I'm afraid I'll snap them if I try to much.

16. Cannabis plants are pretty strong man, and all your doing in lst is tying certain branches down to expose light to the lower canopies and reshape the plant, but if there as thick as you say you might have some luck super cropping

17. Yeah the widow is pretty damn thick lol. I'll look that up. Thank you

18. Now that they have filled out a little more I believe, here is a picture from last night. I am trying to decide if I should top them again to get them to grow a little taller and let them go til the end of april or if they are an alright size to flip them to 12. The 2 widows big bud are much shorter but the branches are very thick compared to the clones. I'm not sure if it is because of genetics or if I just topped them to much?

Any advise would be lovely.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have a plant right now that will not grow tall... it's a bush the branches are growing parallel to the ground. It's all gentics

If you are seeing growth then of you want top again. I top and pick at my plants all the time. Almost every week they are getting picked at

• Like Like x 1