Will these lights help?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by THE D E A, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Hey guys I found a bunch of these lights in my garage and was wondering if they would be any good to grow with, here are some pics of the light it self, it's a cool ice white colour.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. If you have a few and are only planning on one small personal plant then yesSent from my SPH-M840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Thanks for the feed back, I've got about 3-4 of these lights, and yes I'm only doing one plant right now for personal use. I'll use all the lights tonight, as it only have the lights on for about 6-10 hours then I put the seedling outside in the sun for the day.

4. #4 Vee, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
    These fluorescents are called T8's the best ones are 3 or 4 feet long and kick out about 3000 lumen each tube but fade over time, don't break the tube as it's filled with about a teaspoon of Mercury powder ....poison!
    Hang them by chains in a closet or confined area, with very little heat you bring the light right down to within about an inch of the plant tip, keep a small fan in there as plants gotta breathe too, in fact this is how we grew indoor back in the early 1970's in California

You can strap them together to make a bank of 6 or 8 tubes that gives a grow foot print of 4ft x 3ft or 1 sq. yard or meter that can grow 6-8 plants 3 ft high in 3 months, in 3 gallon pots, but best to use for early veg, then move outside to early spring

the T8's have been superseded by the expensive 58w T5, or the 23w CFL array as used by many of GC underagers ....lol

Check to see that you got the modern white electronc ballast in each fitting or consider updating, maybe renew the tubes as like I said some fade, also some hum like hell, too

good luck

"V"

ps try to have an even balance of cool whites 6500k tubes and warm whites 2700k

5. Our if your gonna go with partial cfl setup at home depot get 2x4 bulb t5 fixtures they are $25 a piece then mix the bulb spectrums and also stop taking the plant back and forth from inside to outside it can actually cause more damage them goodSent from my SPH-M840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Veg inside then upgrade the lights to cfl to finish the plant offSent from my SPH-M840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app