Will the price go up or down for dank if legalized?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Messiah Decoy, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Will multi-national corporations drive the prices down like Wal-Mart does to retail or will sales tax drive the prices up from the current rate?

2. Depends on how much it's taxed

3. Anyone know what happened when alcohol prohibition ended.

Did the price for booze go up or down?

4. I think if it were legalized it would get taxed and have a much lower price , because farmers would be able to grow and produce mass quantities with modern agriculture technologies.

5. [quote name='"Greenbean1011"']I think if it were legalized it would get taxed and have a much lower price , because farmers would be able to grow and produce mass quantities with modern agriculture technologies.[/quote]

Imagine it, they'd be selling joints in packs for less than a pack of cigarettes

6. Is tobacco more expensive to produce than quality cannabis?

Either way I'd think the yield for the average cannabis crop would be higher if legalized because you could sell the buds AND the hemp.

Not sure though.

7. [quote name='"Messiah Decoy"']Is tobacco more expensive to produce than quality cannabis?

Either way I'd think the yield for the average cannabis crop would be higher if legalized because you could sell the bds AND the hemp.

Not sure though.[/quote]

No but when you buy a pack of cigarettes almost the entire price is tax because the government isn't exactly for tobacco use but they can't make it illegal.

8. I worked for various tobacco farmers in Missouri for about 10 years. It's a huge pain in the ass. It can be planted with a machine, but it still has to be cared for and harvested by hand. Cutting and spearing tobacco is hand blistering, back breaking work. I imagine that cannabis is similar. If you want it's psychoactive properties to be sound then it needs to be cared for by hand on a plant by plant basis. But there is no reason that cannabis should have to cost more than tobacco imo. Even though I've never grown it myself.

9. According to a quick google search, black market prices stayed in effect for most of the first year after prohibition was lifted in '33. After that prices jerkily fell as more distributors came online and tried to undercut their competitors, resulting in price wars.

The biggest changes were actually in quality, since no one was willing to buy "bathtub gin" anymore when they could go to a legal distributor.

Also, Canadian brewers/distillers/winemakers immediately began putting their products in our markets, so the people had a pretty good idea of what a legal market product should look like and cost.

10. We also knew because it was legal in the USA before prohibition.

11. it's a flucuation question, it all depends on how many competitors there are in the growing business along with the DEMAND for the product.

More Competitors = Lower Price
    More Demand = Higher Price

12. If its legalized I will never have to buy it ever again because I would be growing my own. If I have to get a "growers permit" then so be it. They just better not limit how many plants or oz I can keep once I do.

13. If they legalized I would pay 100% tax on it. Still cheaper than now by a long shot.

14. why will be cheaper then cigarettes?? I think it will be higher the cigarettes.

15. It's gonna be a lot cheaper... But then the tax will always be there... So I'm assuming it will be around 10 a g for dank and 5 for mid and 2 for shwag.
    It'll be dope buying blunts from stores though. Can't wait for that.

16. Way cheaper, imo. More like a buck per gram for dank. I seriously doubt you will even see schwag, and very little mids. Why would you buy that shit when dank is cheap or even free?

I do think a buck per gram is still profitable. How many pounds could you grow in your backyard if there were no restrictions? Well, at 450 bucks a pound, I would grow ALOT and be in heaven. Keep in mind there will be more peeps growing cannabis than any other crop, not to mention the big corporate farms.

I know a buck/g sounds cheap, but even at that price, there is still money to be made. Sure, there will be boutique strains worth more, but that will be for the connoisseurs, like fine wine. The average joe drinks whatever is on sale or at least comparably priced to other brands. A buck/g only seems cheap due to the artificially inflated prices of today. :)

17. [quote name='"buylow8863"']

Way cheaper, imo. More like a buck per gram for dank. I seriously doubt you will even see schwag, and very little mids. Why would you buy that shit when dank is cheap or even free?

I do think a buck per gram is still profitable. How many pounds could you grow in your backyard if there were no restrictions? Well, at 450 bucks a pound, I would grow ALOT and be in heaven. Keep in mind there will be more peeps growing cannabis than any other crop, not to mention the big corporate farms.

I know a buck/g sounds cheap, but even at that price, there is still money to be made. Sure, there will be boutique strains worth more, but that will be for the connoisseurs, like fine wine. The average joe drinks whatever is on sale or at least comparably priced to other brands. A buck/g only seems cheap due to the artificially inflated prices of today. :)[/quote]

Yea, i doubt it would cost a dollar a g, at least 2 maybe 3-5, but the tax they put on it would make it a lot more. And it would be a while before prices really went down...
    Damn. I really don't know actually. Just gonna wait and see. Can't wait :D

18. #19 YoSmokinMan, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    ^Exactly. At least you get it.

A lot of people don't realize how cheap and easy it is to grow bud. And how extremely badly they're getting ripped off paying $20 a g.

I love the people paying $20 a g saying oh no they're going to tax my weed and it's going to be more expensive. Yeah... because it really costs 20 to grow a gram :rolleyes:

The bigger the grow the cheaper the price per gram. Some big industrial shit, they probably wont spent more than 20 cents to grow a gram.

Bud is cheap as hell to grow people. The prices will be so low you'll shit your pants.
    That is if you are not a grower, in which case you already know how cheap it is to grow bud.

I mean you can grow your own for around $10 an ounce.

19. It has to undercut the illegal market significantly, elsewise there's not much use in legalizing. I think in the future everyone will just either grow their own or get it from friends. It will be like summertime and tomatoes - why buy any when there's so many people just trying to give them away.