Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Will smoking help my anxiety?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Marvin22, Feb 23, 2016.

1. I have been a stay at home mom for the past 4 years, before I got pregnant with my first child I worked 60+ hours a week and smoked every night. I started smoking when I was 12, and quit when I was 21-22, and during those years I felt amazing! There were times I felt I smoked too much, to the point where you kinda "smoke yourself sober" if that makes since?
    Anyways, the past year I have noticed my anxiety getting the best of me. I sleep for maybe 3 hours a night and all the fun stuff that comes with it, irritability, not eating, eating too much, nausea, and the list goes on. My husband and I have been talking a lot about me maybe starting again, occasional, at night once the kids are in bed. Just to help me sleep and get a good nights rest. Along with some other things we have come up with we are wondering if smoking could help. I don't want to take a bunch of pills. If I had to, I would, but if I can home medicate myself, not only would it be cheaper, but I feel it would be healthier. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. The only way to know for sure is to smoke and find out.

3. For anxiety I feel it can go either way, might help, might make it worse. As far as a good nights sleep, marijuana is a tough one to beat. I get a great nights sleep every night thanks to a bong rip or two after work. I say give it a shot, if your not happy with the results then its easy to stop.

4. Thank you! Pretty sure I'll be giving it another shot! Can't hurt

5. Honestly I have social anxiety and it helps, I feel better when I'm high, just to the point that I'm functioning not too crazy stoned. I'm at the gym lifting crazy amounts of weight lol :)

6. I have anxiety and weed used to be great for it. After a while it started to be... not so great for it.

These days I've found it depends a lot on the strain. Indicas are much better for my anxiety than sativas or hybrids which can just make it worse at times.

If you're in a location where you have to buy on the black market, you might not have a whole lot of options. But I'd try some indicas if possible. You might also see how some higher CBD strains work for ya, but that's not the kinda thing you can really buy off the street in most places.

7. Most marijuana users are too proud to admit that marijuana causes paranoia and anxiety that can be pretty fucking agitating. Try it out in the evenings, so you can reflect on your methods. I certainly wouldn't be getting stoned all day, that may cause you to set an example for your kids that confuses them. Your certainly better off calming down with a joint than a script of benzos. Don't over do it and remember! If used incorrectly It CAN worsen anxiety. as you probably already know.

8. #8 bhbest, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
    With the potency of todays cannabis, it will probably intensify some of your anxiety if you are not careful. Meaning if you sit there and take 12 hits of some high strength cannabis you'll probably be in for a very unpleasant experience. Like the above posters state, take it slow and small at first and gauge how you react/feel. Cannabis can definitely exacerbate anxiety in some individuals so your mileage may vary as they say.

9. Seeing as how you were a smoker all throughout your adolescence, weed as a crutch really boosted you through the awkward phase of life. So in return you probably have issues dealing with problems that cause anxiety, like choice-making or what have you and weed was always there to help alleviate the stress. If you grew up with a coping mechanism for 10 years, chances are you are going to have habits that rely on said mechanism. I'd just stick to weed and as your kids grow let them know what you feel about the subject.

10. As a mom the only thing that bothers me is that when I smoke I wouldn't be able to drive someone anywhere if there was an emergency of some sort. Just my little bit of paranoia/anxiety.

11. You want a sleeping aid, try making hash caps! Steer clear of the sativas if you have high anxiety!

12. ^^^ This..

Responsibility first.

13. I would caution you that sativas work for some while indicas work for others when controlling anxiety.