Will Mycorrhizal colonies be depleted by...

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Allan421, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Will Mycorrhizal colonies be depleted by flushing soil? By disturbing the soil when turning and re-adding nutes? I've not been able to find this info on my own so I ask for some help from the peeps here.

Thanks in advance for the help! Peace and Good Health!

2. you can just add more after you mix and turn it but keep it moist and it should be ok

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Why flush, if added too much nutrients just stop using them and just use plain water. Preferably ro water since its ppm is 0 or close to it. The plant will eat the extra nutrients over time.

Depending on what nutrients you're using mycorrhizae could be unnecessary. Dry amendments feed microbes those microbes feed the plant not the nutrients technically. Caring for the rhizosphere and using mycorrhizae can be beneficial. When using liquid nutrients those nutrients are strictly for the plant and readily available. Liquids don't feed microbes. Without organic matter microbes will be nonexistent, using mycorrhizae would be irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Check the link: https://www.rxgreentechnologies.com/rxgt_trials/flushing-trial/ first

...and no fungal spores will be lost to deplete the volume over time, yes much does go but are easy replaced by running good temps and conditions later

good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. When you say “ nutes” are you referring to organic top dressing/ amendments or salt based bottle feeds?
    Salt based can be really hard on fungal colonies in general. But, as Vee mentioned, that are easy to re inoculate afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. A mix of both types. Thanks for the answer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mycorrhiza will not wash out with water. But, you will break them up if you till too deeply. This is why we top dress under our mulch layer and gently scratch it into the top inch or so. At transplant time we remove a minimum of the stem and root to keep the majority of the network intact. One thing to remember. The relationship they have with the plant, depends on root contact.

• Like Like x 1
  8. “According to Brito et al. (2012), in comparison with no-till, conventional tillage decreased AM fungal diversity by 40%, as detected by sequencing the DNA.”

Flushing shouldn’t hurt anything. It’s like getting a good long rain. Tilling causes a lot of damage.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I should add that I normally turn my soil to add nutrients but I’m starting to just chopping one plant and planting a seed or vegging plant directly into the same pot. A hori hori knife is amazing for cutting out a stalk to plant a new plant in an existing pot. It needs top dressed once a month or so instead of mixing the nutrients in. Pretty low maintenance.

10. Honestly, I can’t say I practice “ no till “ anymore. At least for the last year or so.
    I till.
    I till nearly every run. Almost a complete turn of the 10” of soil in my beds.
    Here’s why I came to this conclusion. In a word… compaction. I have found that in my set up, the Coots mix that is so wonderfully fluffy and loose for the first run gets so thoroughly worked by the worms and micro herd that even after two runs it becomes really muddy and pretty compacted.
    I started by just aerating it with a pitchfork by just poking holes in it, but that didn’t really help the compaction. Once I saw how muddy it was I decided it need more aeration in the mix and now I add some rice hulls and/ or perlite nearly every run. Sometimes I get dry pockets in the corners of the beds too. So tilling the beds allows me to hydrate the dry beds a bit, remove 2-3 inches of castings, add rice hulls/ perlite, and then till it all together until it’s back to being fluffy and light again. I have been using a microbial inoculation to water it all in.
    OK, so let me have it! I’ve been hesitant to bring this up with you guys because I realize it goes against the grain. But I have to say, the beds and the plants in them have never been this healthy and vibrant. I’m breaking records for yields, potency and terpenes in room that have been up for years.
    IDK… but from what I see in my situation, aeration is key parameter to keep in check.
    :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Traditional agriculture says that tilling collapses soil pores and increases compaction. But that’s soil. I have read nothing saying that the same applies to an indoor soilless medium. Do what works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I feel like I don't know you anymore.
    I don't know what to think, lol
    I broadfork and send a dry premix down into the beds.
    Do you turn all those beds by hand?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. The only drawback I could see is breaking up your mycorrhizal network. And redistributing the microbiology that lived within your rhizosphere. On the level you're growing I'd say whatever you find works best is what I would do. You're still growing in an organic manner like the rest of us. I only get 3 cycles from my little 10 gallon pots before I need to recycle. Maybe things will change with my current discovery.

• Like Like x 3
  14. i agree with you, the peat just turns to mush, in my rasied beds i take a t post and swirl it around and add leaves , in containers in this sun here you aint gonna have a no till, you will have a texan round brick fried right up.
    dont fix what aint broke

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Right.
    Trust me, this was a major concern for me. Maybe still is, but I’m still in the trail and error stages. I’ve flipped five rooms on the last three months going this route but with minor tweaks. The first two looked like they ran out of gas early. I felt like the microbial population didn’t have enough new dry amendments to sustain them early on right after transplant. Cutting waaaay back on the kelp and fish products in favor of more compost and PGPR based inoculations has indeed shown impressive results .
    All of the new studies touting the benefits of PGPR along with the advice of some of the old guard here on GC have been the impetus for me to make these changes.
    Phew!
    I feel like I just confessed my sins to the almighty! I came to this group to learn organic growing methods and the No Till system was a great introduction. When I was tilling beds, at first I was thinking “ oh shit… I’m gonna get a ton of flack from my growmies!”
    But then I remembered “ go with what works for you, what works given your own parameters “
    I’m still dialing this in, I may still be running a little bit hot. But daaaamn … all cylinders are really firing right now!:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. this is a yongsters world and it revolves around abrevations as talk , so i ask what does PGPR mean cause im thinking the pbr , professional bull riding.
    anyway im out but leave with a thought for all , there are 2 ways of organic gardening
    no till
    no dig
    not sure which or what mine is , but a t post swirled around the soil and filled with leaves works pretty good
    in a pinch one day try it might find it is easy on the back hahahah

• Like Like x 1
  17. PGPR
    Plant Growth Promoting Rhyzobacteria.
    Trust me, I am NOT the one to explain this.
    I’m a nut shell, it’s using specific bacterial colonies to target very specific nutrient cycling. Think of Mammoth P, they helped to bring this science to the cannabis crowd.
    Jeff Lowenthals is on every podcast right now talking about this.
    ‎Cannabis Cultivation and Science Podcast: Episode 104: Teaming with Bacteria with Jeff Lowenfels on Apple Podcasts
    Very interesting studies are coming to light.
    This will change the way big Ag does business in the future. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. the creator made soil, he gave me hands to work it, to provide food for my family
    also medicine for my ills
    science had nothing to do with it other than force feed product reviews for revenue
    rather a weed or a potato it still comes down to the working hands
    i am a keep it very simple feller , but i do enjoy reading some of the things you all talk of
    until it all makes me dizzy hahahahh
    no doubt i respect you all involment and passion for the SOIL and what you make of it, i just dont understand why there is the big riff to show whom can kick the most words around hahahah
    there aint a single amend that can make a thumb turn green until you put your heart into it

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Well, to each his own I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ive got 10 green fingers and 9-1/2 green toes! Hahaha

• Funny Funny x 2