Will my cab get too hot?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by SmokeyToke, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I'm growing a couple autos in my 'stealthyhydro' cab and I want to upgrade the lighting from the 13 watt cfls I have in there to a 150 watt hps. I found a mini hps that's only 4.25 inches in height and should fit inside my cab, I don't know the dimensions of my cab but I'll find out. I'm worried about the heat inside tho. It has ventilation and I'm going to put a fan in tomorrow, but do you think it will get too hot inside? And if it's not a good idea, should I go with a 125 watt cfl instead?

Here's the light.

C.A.P. Custom Automated Products: The Mini Sun Light System 150W HPS [SLHPS150] - Complete Systems - Lighting Systems - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

Attached Files:

2. if that 150 fits in there i think youll find a way to keep it cool. the floralux 150 hps and a few others you can air cool with a 4 inch duct fan. that will help alot. if you go that route let me know. i have one ( duct fan) laying around i would part with dirty cheap.. Either way i would go with a 150 in there. youll be happy you did

3. I think you might need to cool tube it. I find pyrex "bake-arounds" at thrift stores alot..they work perfect for making a homemade cool tube. DIY cooltubes with bake-arounds are very popular with the low wattage HID crowd. I need to throw a few together myself for my future dual 150w hps setup.

A 4" duct fan would go perfect with that too...just a straight shot of airflow across the light bulb, and have separate filtering for the grow area.

4. a 125w cfl would be plenty of light for that space. plus lower power cost less heat less power used to cool!