will my attic work?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by brianisonfiree, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ok so im placing my grow box into my atttic
    its pretty early here, around 65 degrees outside, about 65 degress in my attic
    i am aware that later on in the day, and later on in the month, that the outside temperature will rise to about 10 more degrees, and my attics temperature will rise even higher

my attic is my only option to grow, and i was wondering will it work?
    i want to view this problem through all aspects
    im sure that inside my grow box will be even hotter, but with some holes in the bottom and 2 fans blowing constantly, will there still be a problem with high temperatures?

2. depends on where you live. You might have time for 1 grow before summer heat hits. My attic in the summer is in the 100s is AC an option?

3. In the summer time an attic will be Way too hot...If you've ever had to crawl around in one for just a little while, you'd be drenched in sweat. It might be doable in the winter.

4. someone is doing a attic build in this forum now, if you search you maybe gets some ideas off how he did his setup, so far it pretty much rocks.

5. ya you'll need a/c for sure. By June my attic has to hit 110-120 degrees every day its sunny. By August, 140 no problem. Attics turn into easy bake ovens in the summer...

6. #6 StarBaby, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
    I am currently growing in my attic. Here is what I did.

I made a tent in one of the back corners of my attic out of tarps and duct tape. Its about 16-20 sq feet of floor space, and 4 1/2 feet tall. I lined the inside with foil and made an exhaust for the tent. I got one of the 4in exhaust fans from the Home Depot, attached a dryer tube to it, put a hole in the tent and there is my exhaust. Because the exhaust is constantly sucking, it pulls fresh air from under the tarp into the room.

I am fortunate enough to have my tent about 5 feet from a window on the same wall. So when it gets really hot in there in the summer I can vent the tube by the window.

Another thing about the attic growing is what type of lights you want/have to use. I am currently running (I added a new light today :hello:)
    250W HPS
    70W HPS
    (4) 48" flourescent daylight 6500k bulbs

All my sprouts are on 24/0 light before the summer hits and it gets too hot. When it does and they are flowering, I can easily black the tent out and do their dark during the day while it isnt so hot.

If you dont have the option to ventilate at all, I would suggest just sticking to CFL's. You will suffocate the plants at 100 degrees, and even before the extra 70W came in here, if I didnt watch the tent too close, it got hot as balls in there.

Another thing to consider is how much time you have to spend with your babies. I have to water mine at least twice a day because its hard to keep it humid in there. So if you are gone a ton, that heat may not be a good way to go for you.

I have a really sweet setup actually. There are pics here:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/366758-lighting-advice-please.html

Post #4 and #5
    Those were a couple of days ago, the baggies are gone now :D

Hard to get a good pic of the HPS damn things are bright lol

If theres anything else I can do to help, feel free to ask. I am new to growing indoors, but I can build the hell out of a tent :)

Going to go take some new pics. I just realized that pic still has that small purple grow light in there, which has since been replaced with a big boy :D

7. I cleaned up a little and got a more recent pic where you can see my lights and such. Maybe it can at least give you an idea for your own tent

[​IMG]

8. It looks as if you are using tin-foil, that isn't the best option! Tin foil is one of the worst reflective surfaces because it crumples under heat and reflects light at very obscure angles.

Maybe black &white poly, mylar, white paint, elastometric paint would do you more favours my friend. Your yield will be greatly affected too :(

Good luck buddy