Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Will mold form in my bubbler?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Tha_Joker, Aug 3, 2010.

1. I can never get my bubbler completely dry and it bugs me out cause I think the moisture will turn into mold, will it? Also what if I sealed it in a ziplock gallon freezer bag

2. how do u clean it?
    if you use alcohol and salt there shouldn't be anything to mold.
    and even if you're just dumping out the water, leave it out on a paper towel on its side or where ever the largest hole is and you should be fine.

3. Use a hair dryer in the carb. Or leave it next to a fan.

4. Yea, Agreed with above. I wouldn't put it straight into a bag because it will never dry then. You're gonna get more mold that way I think than if you were to blow some air through it and then let it sit out for a bit.

Once it's dry just put it away. Next time you smoke just check it out, make sure it doesn't have anyhting living on it and go ahead and use it.

If it's gross, ISO it, run some water through it real well, then use it.

5. I havent used alcohol yet, I've just been dumping the water out. I'll probably just start wrapping it in a paper towel

6. that should work I think. Maybe a fan too, like sidbenmore said. Moving air might dry it faster than just wrapping it in paper towl.

7. The mold will start to form as a slightly green / black color. If this happens, whatever you do, do NOT touch the bong with your hands. This mold can easily get into your lungs and collapse them. If you ever smoke weed out of your bong, you will die.

8. No need to stress man.

Mold needs food, specificly an organic material, to get its energy from and grow.

I've seen some pretty filthy bongs over the last few years, and although the "water" in them could probably best be described as muck, its not exactly an organic medium.

9. I've seen it happen in dirty pieces that sat unused for quite some time with the water still in them.
    As long as you're dumping the water out, or at least not letting it sit for weeks on end with dirty water in it, you should be fine. :p

10. really? like a mold layer you get ontop of a cup of tea if you forget it for a few days?

i cant understand how a mold could grow in (stagnant) water if theres nothing but ash in it.... Do you think sucking through unburnt bud pieces might be the source of the Mold food?

11. #11 *guest, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    Yeah, I'm guessing it was unburnt chunks. Or else just the build up of resin on the walls. :confused_2:

It actually formed in the bottom of the bubbler. I picked it up and looked at it from underneath and you could see a layer of gray and black colored moldy looking stuff (not resin).
    If it wasn't mold then I'm not really sure what else it could have been... Shit was like 10x harder to get off than the resin. :p

EDIT: I did a search on google for info about mold and stagnant water, got a bunch of results saying that stagnant water is a common cause of black mold.
    Also found one regarding windows saying that mold can't grow on the glass itself, but it can grow on any dirt that may be on the glass.
    I'm guessing the combination of stagnant water and dirty glass is what caused it.

12. I never had a mold problem. I once while stoned put my bong into a box and next to my computer desk without emptying the water out. I thought I lost my bong for about two months. I felt real stupid when I realized the thing had been next to me the entire time. Found a hat and a towel in the box I also thought were lost. I think I was trying to protect it.

Well I saw the water and had thought I had begun to cultivate new life before I realized a bug made it's way in and died then begun to bloat and form a bubble of yuck around it. Boiling hot water, dish soap, salt and iso fixed er right up. I like to think the little buggy had the drink of its life before mutating into something all together different.