will it WORK

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by newbudismygoal, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ok so ive been letting my seeds sprout between paper towels they are aprox 3 in each in length completly out of the seed shell and there is a green sprout that looks to be opening on the end? would it work to have the root submerged in water and the sproout out of the water will it continue to grow i notice some plants can do this and grow very rapidly

2. It would work if you had CONSTANT oxygen in the water for the root (for example: an air rock for a fish tank). But at this point you're growing hydroponicaly and then there ARE other things that need to be taken into account. Stick with soil until you know whats goin on.:D

3. Yeh and erm, remind me why exactly this is in the outdoor section exactly?

D.
    :smoke:

4. #4 OldSkool1010, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
    You are basically talking about growing hydroponically. Most hydro growers that I've read about as well as my one hydro plant, go about it differently than just soaking and sprouting the seed in water.

If you're going to try hydro, I would suggest you immediately and carefully put the sprout into a net pot with some sort of medium...green side up and exposed with the white root tip in the pot.

set the pot into water and add an air stone and use an aquarium air pump to add oxygen to the water.

Nutes and other considerations are best answered by experienced hydro gardeners.

I would recommend going to the grocery store or drug store and get some gallon jugs of Drinking water (reverse osmosis or RO). Distilled water would work better (IMO) when you're using a nutrient solution.

Also...:laughing: w/ devilish

5. well its just an experiment bcuz the whole deal on hydro is that the roots do not have to strain to find nutrients and water so i figured i could submerge them and put the nutrients directly in the water

6. Agreed.

BUT the roots need to be in the dark AND the nutrient solution needs to be oxygenated.

7. im trying to find the best possible quality of pot here so i have 3 plants growing in soil directly in the ground 2 in pots and i have this one i growing in a 5 gallon bucket. right now the one in the bucket is probably 3 times as far as the others it seems it is starting to stem up but it will soon fall so im going to have to guide or train it..

8. ok si i get the correct amount of nutrients line the inside with black or paint it black have an aerator in the water and sunlight blocked from the roots.. in think it would work just miuns the medium

9. Not black paint on the inside.. Paint can be TOXIC so its not a great idea... If you do need to paint it though try to find some non-toxic radiator paint. Also make sure its dry before you put your water into it or you'll have to start over an buy more water

D.

:smoke:

10. i got this idea bcuz my wife has a plant gorwing in just water and holy cow it grows fast.. and is very lively.. so well see which flourishes the best and has the best quality, quantity is not my concern as this is for my personal use

11. #11 OldSkool1010, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
    I guess you can hold the plant upright somehow without using clay pellets (hydroton) or cocoa coir, or even (like I did) water plant medium, (which looks like kitty litter)...just not sure how you intend to do that.

Vermiculite would work too.

12. well i could have a metal pole straight to the bottom of the water secured and just let it grow right along side that pipe. i think it would work. and its getting sunlight, not bulbs. all plants are getting 5 hrs of direct morning sunlight and at least 8-9 hrs of sunlight, but not direct the rest of the afternoon

13. that sounds like it could work...air pumps are not designed for outdoor use though. You'll need to keep it out of the weather.

I'm interested in seeing how you do.

14. well this one will do fine is is the rock out of my humidifier from my iguanas old terrarium this should work well im very interested im going to take pics along the way. im only going to grow one of each whicever out of the sets thrive the best so i will only have a total of 3 plants,