will it live?!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Karbine, Oct 20, 2004.

1. holy shit the plant was growing a bit crooked so i tried to straiten it out with my finger and all the sudden i hear a snap. does anybody know if it will like. the plant is only 2-3 weeks old.

2. it could.. put more soil in the pot, so that the soil is up to and covering the break. the stem under the dirt should turn into root and the plant will be fine

3. pics would help, and where did it snap?........if it's some roots, then yes, stress will happen, but it'll probably survive..........if it's the stem, then you need to make a splint, ie tape it back together and wait for it to heal...........remember it's a weed, very resiliant..........Peace out.........Sid

4. i break my plants stems all the time to fatten them up and get bigger buds.
    aslong as the plant can still get its juices up past the break then it will recover.
    if the stem is ripped (sap commin out) then b on the lookout for infection, if its ripped to bad then it may b worth cuttin it off but thats a last resort. just a break in the woody part inside the plant but the outside intact will hardly bother most plants at all.

if its floppin over then if its just left then half of the time the plant will straten up again in time and the other half ur'll get a kink in the stem and a funny shaped plant. if u want a nice straght plant then a stake and tie like sid sez is a good idea.

at the end of the day tho it aint a major prob so dont fret.

5. thanks for all the help.its lookin healthy now and the leaves are continuing to grow

6. High Y'all,
    I snapped a very fine 15 incher in half once. OW! Hurt me worse than her! Anyway, I popped the top piece into some water, made the 45' cut in the water, well above the unavoidable air bubble, which I think travels about an inch an hour? Next, I created the girdling just above the cut end, stripped the 2 lower nodes, misted, tented, shaded, and waited. A couple of days later, when I judged her to be looking a triffle pale, and I saw a slight swelling above the girdle I proceeded as to clone a properly prepped cutting. You might have to remove some of the larger foliage, but I've found if I have the time to and energy to pamper it, judicious tenting and on demand misting and foliar applications of a hint of SuperThrive can help retain alot of the stuff you usually chop for the sake of transpiration to uptake ratio.
    earth girl

7. are u talking about grafting eg?

8. HIgh Wylde1,
    Grafting is the art of taking part of one tree/bush/plant and causing it to bond to the trunk of another.
    Cloning is what I did. Usually clones come from lateral growth, branches, of the mother-plant. I cloned the meristem. But my favorite cloning method is airlayering, in which the prepped branch is left on the mother-plant with her rooting sites wrapped in moist coir held on with plastic wrap and bag ties. You cut it off after the root ball forms in the coir, and treat it like a transplant. Pretty cool, huh?
    eg

9. yeah that does sound interesting. bit like buryin part of a branch till it roots then pullin it up. it does sound like a lot of work to just get a clone tho but like u say if u have the time. i think i got a bit confused about what u was talkin about as the thread was about saving a broken plant not what to do with the bits that break off.

i found it interesting u cut under water to avoid air bubbles in the plant. iv allways thought this a falacy or at least of no harm to the plant. i mean i try and get as much air (and water) to the cut of a clone as i can and not only does it not harm the plant it helps fast rooting. may i ask where u got this habbit from and can u explain it further. do u just cut under water or cut then soak. do air bubbles happen only at the time u cut or shud this b something to worry about during the whole cloning prosess? id b interested in ur thoughts on this as its the only thing u have posted (that iv seen) that i dont agree with.

10. High,
    I'm sorry, W1, I have a bad habit of expanding a subject and my answers to cover other likely scenarios. That part about the stem snapping in you figers set me off! So it is really your fault! lololol

Anyhow, the problems caused by an embolism in the stem are most prevalent, and most distructive, in cut flowers. It is the most common cause of premature blossom wilt in an otherwise lovely bouquet. In cuttings it contributes to the overall wilting during the first days in the chamber. Try it! you might like it.
    I have found that the better you treat cuttings to avoid shock, the faster they will root, and the growth rate is significantly more vigorous.
    The bit about the branch in the dirt is known as ground layering.
    earth girl is surrendering the lecture podium...

11. ha ha im sorry if i got u goin then bab. i'll try not to do it again.
    i can see ur point about cut flowers, that isnt something i know a lot about tho so cant really comment. as for giving it a try (cuttin under water that is) there isnt really much point as the way i do my cuts i never get any wilt, droop or shock at all. most of the time they just carry on growing as if they was on the plant alltho a bit slower.

just 1 more lil question so i understand ur thinking a lil better. with the cut flowers or mj cuts do u have to worry about air just at the moment of the cut or for some time after?

12. The size of the air bubble is dictated by the amount of time the cutting was kept out of water. If you don't counteract it soon, it will continue up the plant causing interruptions of the flow of water and nutrients. You can slow it's ascent by keeping the foliage very moist. I'm truely amazed you have never encountered this natural phenomenon.
    eg

13. oh i have, just not since i got the hang of aero cloneing and i normaly have the cloner set up b4 i start the cuttin so they aint in the air for more than 2mins tops while i trim unwanted leaves. i dont bover pre trimmim them either l0l.

thinking about it i did have some cuts wilt on me. i lost all my mothers so had to drive 150ml to a m8s id give a couple of plants to and take some cuts, all i did was wrap the ends in wet kitchen roll and pop them in a slit open pop bottle and do the 5hr drive home (dam tractors) after we'd finished our smoke that is. they was layin allmost flat when they went in but when i got up next morning they were perky and streachin for the light. i did recut when i got home but not in water.

if ever i have to clone without 1 tho i think i'll try some cut in water and some in air just to see if it makes a diffrance.

thanx for puttin up with me daft questions eg and thanx for the info