Will it blow my house up...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Freedom, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ...if I put my new 125watt cfl bulb into the hood socket thingy that I use for my 400watt hps bulb?

Sorry, I don't even know the right terms for this stuff. I got one of those hood/ballast/bulb combo jobs, it works great but now I wanna use cfls for the first part of my grow. I ordered this 125watt cfl bulb expecting it to fit into a regular lamp, dur. :rolleyes: I have noticed that it is the same size as the hps bulb.

Should I give it a go? Will it work? More importantly, will it kill me in a huge ball of flames?

2. No these two bulbs are completely different and cannot be run out of the same socket. Please dont try. A hps bulb needs a ballast to regulate power while a cfls or other flouro bulb runs off regular household power. Again dont do it. IMO Much Love.

3. Is that a no then? ;)

Well man, you just saved a life! 'cos I was soo gonna try it if I didn't get a response!

So I'm gonna have to spend more bloody money to get the right thing. :(

4. HID?! Male?! Female? My light has a sex?! Dude I have no idea what you are asking me! I do appreciate you trying to help me though. :) I looked up the sockety thing I need and it's not too expensive. Might even try to buy one locally.

Ya know, if it wasn't for the input of all you GCer's, I would defo have killed myself by now! It's a wonder my house is still standing, it really is. :smoke:

5. don't take the chance, it is not worth the risk. Invest the little bit of extra money.

-C

6. why would you want to use 125 cfl if you have a 400 watt hps?

7. Agreed vacant, thanks for your input. :)

shafro, the hps will be used for flowering. It does work well in veg but is a big waste of leccy for three tiny seedlings! :smoke:

8. never run any thing bar the light u are ment to use u will blow up ur house

9. i remember reading a thread a little while back that said it was ok to put a smaller wattage bulb in a higher wattage ballast. tried to find it but couldn't.

10. Thats about just HID, not CFL into HID.