Will insurance or dispensaries cover part of cost for medical patients in any state?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by hippieluhv, May 11, 2018.

1. Hello,
    I'm new here, and not sure this is the right forum to post to but it was the closest in relevance that I could find.

I live in California, and I used to work privately for a person who showed me how they were allotted 1/8th of marijuana per week from their local dispensary for FREE due to their medical conditions. I didn't want to pry and ask if this was covered by insurance, or the dispensary itself or what.

I'm very interested to know if anyone has heard of this happening or get a discount or free marijuana for having a medical condition. If you have any knowledge of how someone was able to attain something like this, I would love to know as I myself have a medical condition that I smoke for but I'm very low income so most of the time I remain untreated. If I could find a way to get my insurance to help out that would be amazing!

Thanks for reading!

2. I would bet real money that no insurance program would cover cannabis in any form.

3. i'm in cali and i haven' heard of any insurance covering for weed even it's medicinal, though i haven't checked mine and i only know one person with a card.

maybe its just that dispensary being nice to that guy?

4. #4 soopkitchen, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    -----

5. A few years ago we had a member who claimed to be getting their cannabis meds paid for by insurance. East Coast I wanna say MA.
    Was never able to confirm or dispute the claim.

Judge Rules Insurance Company Must Pay For Medical Cannabis
    In this case it is true.
    BNW

6. Insurance companies' spend much time and effort declining coverage for LEGAL stuff. It will be some time AFTER national prohibition ends before footing the bill for weed comes up on the radar. I wouldn't get my hopes too high, even then. They will never go along with it as long as the insurance companies are married to big Pharma.

7. I’ve long wondered this myself. I’m currently on over $20k per month in medications(opiates are the most expensive.)

And that’s *after* cutting my opiate dose in half with cannabis.

If I had even $500 in insurance money to spend at a dispensary at my discretion, I honestly think that I could cut that in half again. Maybe even more.

What makes more sense? $20k or $500 in cannabis and -$10k in opiates?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Uh oh, you said the O word. We can't be having that.

But I do agree that insurance should pay for it. Honestly though, by the time that happens it'll cheap enough you won't need insurance.

9. I don’t think these companies could cover weed if they wanted to. I’m sure there are enough federal restrictions that would disqualify them to work anywhere near the health field if they are supporting illegal drug activity.

10. It’s not just the cost of the weed. Here in Florida medical weed just became legal last year. The weed itself ain’t cheap, but getting the medical ID card costs several hundreds of dollars as well.

11. For sure not cannabis. Marinol maybe. There are a lot of growers in Oregon who provide free cannabis to patients that are actually sick.

• Like Like x 1