Will I need to smoke weed forever?

Discussion in 'General' started by desuforeverlulz, Sep 1, 2011.

1. I've lately been experiencing symptoms of depression. No, this is not "derpression" where you get all angsty and you think you have depression but you really don't, this is real depression.

I felt empty. My mind was completely blank, and my heart was without energy or vitality. I couldn't really do anything, I couldn't move, I couldn't go anywhere, and no one understood. I couldn't even fall asleep due to insomnia. So my life involved doing absolutely nothing. My parents didn't really understand what was wrong with me, if anything. They didn't understand the significance of depression. They didn't understand that I was in so much mental pain that I could hardly bear it. My heart felt so heavy in my chest to the point where I couldn't breathe, and I broke down in tears. I wanted death to take me right then and there but I couldn't bring myself to commit suicide.

I talked to my doctor and she put me on Prozac. I absolutely hate it, I fucking hate it. It makes me feel like a fucking zombie and it just worsens the symptoms that I described, especially a lack of vitality. I told her about this and she said she would wean me off before we tried another medication. When this whole depression thing started, I had been on a weed break primarily for financial and priority reasons. I wanted to focus on school and save a little bit of money here and there for college. On the first day of school, about a week ago from yesterday, my buddy asked me if I wanted to smoke with him. I hadn't done anything social at all since the depression started so I said sure, why not.

Let me describe how my outlook changed since the joint touched my lips. After my first hit, nothing really happened. It didn't really change me much. But after my second and third, the heaviness on my heart I described just vanished. I could think a little bit. I took about eight hits and gave him $5 to roll another. I smoked that all by myself after explaining the depression scenario and how I was immediately feeling better.

I could finally breathe! I felt like I was trapped in a casket underground, buried alive and panicking, and all of a sudden, the casket opened up to a burst of fresh air and bright blue skies. I felt so, so wonderfully good. But since then I haven't really smoked much and the depression is coming back. If my theory is right, that I will have to smoke again to feel better, does this mean I'll have to smoke forever or maybe until the depression goes away on its own, which I doubt it will?

-

tl;dr: I had depression, smoked weed, it got better, stopped smoking, it got worse, will I have to keep smoking?

2. if it helps you, why stop?

but to be honest you should solve your problems without drugs.

and fuck prozac, that stuff is garbage.

3. In my experience, if you get depression, weed seems to alleviate it. However, the comedown when you haven't got any hits you twice as hard...

It also makes me at least, sometimes feel rather apathetic towards things. And therefore, I end up procrastinating, not getting shit done, which leads to more bad feelings; and the vicious cycle goes on...

I don't know, just my thoughts on the matter.

4. But see, being able to solve it without drugs means you can just "snap out of it" when you really can't. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain that is a disease just as any other life threatening illness.

5. If you don't want to have to rely on weed, you need to find the root cause of your depression. Whether physical or mental, there's a cause. Start from there.

If there is no hope in fixing what's broken and you'd rather smoke, I'd at least look into some edibles..

6. PS - How often do you exercise? Are you considered healthy?

7. I'm a swimmer and water polo player, I swim for three hours just about every day. Yeah, you could say I'm healthy. :D

8. What ever you do, never touch antidepressants again, ever.

I'm psychology grad student, I've seen way to much research on what they do to you please never touch that poison again.

Depression sucks, but those pills only make it worse.

From one blade to another I hope you take my advice into consideration, I don't care if the doctor is shoving those pills down your throat, throw them away if you have to.

9. Good question, exercise often produces pheromones that give you an upbeat attitude.

10. Do you know what brought on your depression? What was different when it started? If there isn't an outside factor, I'd go over your diet first. Sounds funny, but it's a place to look..

11. Thanks for that man. That's good to know. I was considering a degree in psychology myself, if not music.

12. For breakfast I usually have cold cereal, for lunch I eat at school, which is something like pasta, cheeseburgers, veggie wraps, fruit salads or marinara sticks, and for dinner my mom cooks a wide variety of meals, usually with meat in them.

13. I won't lie, I don't really know what you should or shouldn't eat in terms of happy food.. Lol, but it's a place to look..

14. I think it's literally just staying away from unhealthy and processed foods. I watch that movie "Super Size Me"... he seemed pretty depressed after all of that McDonald's.

15. Here comes "Granny" with studies and a "wall-o-text" to explain it all! :rolleyes:

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood
    (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

When you are depressed a section of your brain is not working right. :( Pot gives the production of new brain cells in that section a boost, and you feel better[FONT=&quot]

On the surface of your cells, there are chemical receptors that sort of work like an ignition switch in a car. The right shaped chemical will fit into the receptor's “key hole” and it “turns on” some action. This could be almost anything- from telling a cancer cell it's time to die, to activating the suckling instinct in an infant, to soothing your upset stomach, to getting you high, or simply feeling "not depressed"! [/FONT]

The chemical receptors on the surface of our cells are how our bodies control just about everything! A recent medical study shed some light on just what is going wrong with America- why we are suffering from so much mental and physical illness.

[FONT=&quot]“Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The corollaries of the obesity epidemic that plagues developed societies are malnutrition and resulting biochemical imbalances. Low levels of essential n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFAs) have been linked to neuropsychiatric diseases, but the underlying synaptic alterations are mostly unknown. We found that lifelong n-3 PUFAs dietary insufficiency specifically ablates long-term synaptic depression mediated by endocannabinoids in the prelimbic prefrontal cortex and accumbens. In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins. Finally, the dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions in mood-controlling structures was associated with impaired emotional behavior. These findings identify a plausible synaptic substrate for the behavioral alterations caused by the n-3 PUFAs deficiency that is often observed in western diets.[/FONT]

Since most of you don't speak "Sci", that likely meant nothing to you! :confused_2: Here's my translation. :rolleyes:

[FONT=&quot]“The US diet sucks big time and we are fat, undernourished, and crazy because of it. We get WAY too much Omega 6 and not enough Omega 3. Not getting enough Omega 3 can make you crazy because without it, the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain aren't made right- a chunk that is supposed to be attached, the Gi/o effector protein, isn't! Broken receptors give you “impaired emotional behavior”. So we think it's the low Omega 3 diet is making the US totally nuts!” [/FONT]

What happens is that your body tries to stick on an Omega 6 where you absolutely need an Omega 3. So that Gi/o effector protein is left flopping free! One of the many bad effects that this causes is depression. Adding Omega 3 to a diet has been shown to help with depression. (Don't freak- these are readable! lol)

Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors (abst - 2011) Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors. - Free Online Library

How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood? How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood?

If you are taking Omega 3, and smoking pot, the two combine to lift depression. The cannabis will stimulate your existing CB1 receptors and get new brain cells forming. And the Omega 3 will make sure the new CB1 receptors on the new neurons are made right!

And as a delightful side effect, after a month or two of taking Omega 3, you should also get a bit higher when you get stoned! The same new CB1 receptors that will lift your depression, are the same kind that get you stoned! :smoke: Win-win!

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. I'm tired tonight.

Short version- Take Omega 3 every day for a couple of months. You'll feel better and get higher! :smoking:

Granny :wave:

16. Do you have a hedgehog yourself, or is the one in your avatar a lie? In my extremely sound and valuable opinion I believe a hedgehog could be the answer to all of your problems.

but for real, it's a vicious cycle. I think it takes your body a few months of not smoking to balance your seratonin levels back to normal. That sucks man I hate feeling sad for no reason. But life ain't so bad, I find the sadness usually goes away after a good hard think about what I need to do to be happy. Do things that make you feel good about yourself. I think that's really the most important thing when it comes to dealing with depression and life in general

17. For the record, there are doctors and scientists out there who do not buy into the chemical imbalance theory. It's still a THEORY. There is still no way to actually measure the levels or correlate them to depression. They just discovered the existence of serotonin and it's affect on mood not THAT long ago.

People push theories, to push pharma solutions, which treat symptoms (and not even very effectively) while never even working on or tackling the problem.

MJ is wonderful for depression, but it's not much different in that it can't FULLY treat the problem, only symptoms.

You CAN get better without meds. Cognitive behavioral therapy works, and actually gets to the ROOT of the problem, and trains you to think differently, and makes you truly better, more complete, and more satisfied as a person.

The reason why so many people don't do it is... it's much easier to pop a 'happy' (poison) pill than put in the work necessary for CBT

18. Short answer is yes! I only read the thread title though, the post was way to long and i'm way to high, I think there was a TLDR but idk that was like 10 mins ago, but no matter what the answer is yes!

19. [​IMG]
    :D

20. Next to a multi-vitamin fish oil or other omega 3 is the best thing you can take to supplement your diet. I work at a health food store and those are the 2 supplements I take

I've had depression but also lots of anxiety. Its good that you exercise. Also be sure to get outside in the sun, be in nature, stay hydrated, get enough sleep

All these little things make a big difference. There are also supplements such as L-tyrosine, L tryptopham, Sam E, st johns wort and many other natural things that you can try before resorting to prescriptions

Prescriptions are not all encompassing evil poisons of doom like some people make them out to be and some people really benefit greatly from them when all else fails but the mistake is reccomending them right off the bat.

Good luck with everything:D