Will I get evicted from college housing

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by rydude4, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Me and my roommate got caught high in our dorm room. No drugs were found and we were not found smoking in our dorm, they smelt it off us would be my assumption on how they found out. To put it simply, we are being charged for being high. I have a formal hearing in a few weeks with conduct, not an official court hearing. I'm being charged for use of narcotic or other controlled substances. Legally I'm fine (no charges, no arrest) but there is a chance I can get evicted. This is my first time offense. The formal meeting well allow me to give my side of the story, plead my case and give my recommendation on what my punishment I want to provide myself and why. My options are eviction, (worse case scenario) probation, which includes fines and drug related course (the one I'm going for) and the final option is just a warning (not excepting that). Honestly, what are my chances? Most likely evicted? 50/50? Or do I have a good chance of getting sent on probation if I make a sound argument. Any tips on how to act on the formal meeting? What to wear? I have a decent idea on what to say which involves; admitting my mistakes, asking for another chance, telling them it was a learning experience and that eviction would be counter intuitive to the learning process. This is my first time smoking, and I don't plan on doing it again. What do you think will happen?

2. #2 aPersonUponaHill, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Go in there pleading innocent, they dont have any real proof. Say I dont know, I wasnt aware we smell like weed. We were hanging out at a friends place playing video games and he was smoking marijuana. I wasnt actually smoking, notice how nothing was found. I would threaten to sue if they took any action other than an apologizing to me. Take that route.

Better yet, go in there saying I am innocent, no evidence was found to the contrary, and if any action is taken other than an apology I am going to sue. And leave it at that.

Not to mention its college, what assholes for being up on you for smelling like weed, that they didnt even find a shred of evidence of. Fuckin ridiculous, people need to get the dick out of their ass.

3. yea as long as you're giving us all the details and they found no trace of evidence EasternSmoker's route is your best bet

4. #4 Sweendog, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
    If they found nothing I would doubt you could get evicted. Just don't admit to anything.

I had two friends evicted, both times weed was found though.

If you smoked off campus, fuck them they can't prove or do anything.

5. Don't settle for anything, they don't have shit on you except you "smelt like weed". Is everyone supposed to trust the people's judgement on weed on your clothes? As far as all of the housing on college campuses I've seen, only way they can do any action is if you are caught WITH marijuana, and even then 9 times out of 10 your first offense is a slap on the wrist maybe a course you have to take, but other than that just a warning.

Go into that meeting with full confidence that they can't do anything, because you did nothing wrong.

6. It's all contingent on the fact of the matter that being that there was no evidence found and are therefore being punished by a subjective form of human sensory perception. You smelt like weed to them, could've smelled like poop to someone else. I would let them kick you out so you can sue...

7. LMAO how the hell do you get caught being high....in your dorm room...

8. Just don't say anything to incriminate yourself, because that is what they are going to try to do. Don't be surprised if they tell you one thing and your friend another in order to play you against one another.

9. Same thing happened to me. I fought it and told them that were was no evidence. Half the time they will realize it isn't even worth the fight. Plus, in my state at least, its not illegal to be high, as long as there isn't any weed or paraphanelia on you.

10. There's a whole lot more to this than some of you folks think there is which is important...

So let me ask u this...who "caught" you being high? Was this the police, landlord, RA? Are you going to civil or criminal court? Whether or not you have criminal charges is not a contingent factor to whether or not you may be evicted.

If your dorm room was searched by police, they already have probable cause of drug use or a warrant to search based on surveillance. I'm gonna say the first one in this case...although they may not have found anything, you may be off the hook criminally, but your school can sure as hell kick you out of there dorms for "smoking on school grounds" or some dumb shit like that.

Just be careful, any drug charge, misdemeanor or felony, and you're no longer eligible for federal student aid.

11. Like the first poster said. Just deny, deny, and deny. If theres no evidence they cant prove a damn thing

12. FIRST, I learned this my freshman year in college. This is one of the most important rules there is when your in this type of situation. NEVER TELL THEM INCRIMINATING evidence. Like admitting to something wrongful whether you did it or not, if lying is not your thing you can plead the 5th, no one is making you talk.

There are a few things your gonna have to learn in life as well, don't roll over for people. If your going down, don't make it easy for them. If you go down easy what would you do if they kicked you out? I would rather make it a pan in their ass if they are going to kick me out.

All of this aside, you will get the second option I'm 99% sure. A class and probation. It is the same deal for alcohol when they find you drunk. Your not slanging meth, so your not gonna get kicked out for something 50% of the school does in recreation. Hell the people busting you are probably smoking at home too.

Anyways the big question you did not inform us with is what school? If it is a state school you might get option 3, but a private small Mormon school and its a different story my friend.

13. Sorry this had to happen, bad luck I guess. If that was the only time you smoked, you might be able to pass a urine test, but before telling the school that you can prove you didn't smoke, I'd buy an OTC test, and try it out beforehand, to see if it detects anything, and before you take the official test, if they take you up on it, learn how to do a system cleanup, just to be on the safe side.

14. Wrong. You just can't have any selling charges or you lose financial aid. I have 2 possession charges and still receive it lol.

But this was also probably just a dick head power tripping RA wanting to do a random search, which they can do in dorms.

15. ^This. I had a lot of friends who were RA's. I went to a private Catholic liberal arts college for a little over a year. This i what they said their policy was:

If one of their residents smells like marijuana or their dorm room smells like marijuana they have the full right to search the room. If nothing is found in the dorm room then the student is free to go. If not then consequences are then to pursue. The person in question must also empty their pockets completely, if refusal is given to do so the police may be called for a pat down. If no evidence is found whatsoever the student is free to go, but is now under closer watch by the RA's.

You're good to go :)

16. Glad to hear everyone else's opinion....just curious who here has their Juris Doctor?

I'll wait....

17. Don't need one if you have experienced the system enough. I'll take experience over a degree any day.

I think everyone here as had one run in like this that is giving advice.

18. You're gonna tell me the guy in the jump suit is gonna have more experience than the lawyer representing him?

19. I think your exaggerating a little here...there is no jumpsuit involved in this type of crime.

I'd say this is more of a social problem/ negotiation then legal. How good are you with talking your way out of trouble, etc.

20. I'm not saying he's screwed but some people think that just because you can't be charged criminally doesn't mean you can't get evicted etc.